1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice
  1. alfredoguzman

alfredoguzman Junior Member
    from Chicago

I want to start my business this season. I was asked to place a bid on a lot of 42,000 sq. ft. The owner wants a seasonal contract with no salt. My question is how could I price this lot. I have a Chevy Silverado 4x4 with a 7.5' blade. If anyone can give me any suggestion I'd appreciate it.:confused.

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

So it's about an acre (fairly small)
    Could you post a picture of the lot. And what city or region are you in?

3. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

maybe you'd consider starting off smaller...if its your first year

4. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

First thing to do is put some wings on that plow. They are a huge time saver, for not a big investment.

Use the search button on this site, and find a ton of info on bidding, and don't forget you'll need insurance.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

What are the specs?
    0-Tolerance?
    1" trigger?
    2" trigger?

Hard to set another's price without knowing what the customer wants besides no salt.
    Being in Chicago why no salt? You should sell him on salt as that is where your real money will come from.
    A small lot like that and one break down or mishap will take any profit and then some. Make sure you have plowing insurance, not just the basic auto insurance needed to drive.

6. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

seasonal contract---it should take you 1.5 hours to clear under 12" being a first timer--bill minimum 2 hours per snow event--at your hourly rate--say 100$. each snow event is 200$ with no salt. Multiply that by the number of average snow events--say 10---2000$. Now if the lot has obstacles--add accordingly--dont forget travel time. You need to know the trigger and to cap it as well for say anything over x number of snow events or x inches there is an additional charge. simple math--figure out your operating costs to run your business. you could even divide by square foot--say you charge 250$ each time you plow it would work out to .006 cents per sq ft---or to bid seasonal you figure this one would be 2500$ ( just an example figure) you divide 2500 by 42000 to get your seasonal sq ft cost of .06 cents per sq ft. You need to figure out your hourly rate to start off--then multiply that times 2.5 for the roughly 1 acre lot and come up with x---then multiply that times average snow events y and you get z. If you are really trying to land the job you could even give him seasonal price for 8 snow events and start charging additionally after 10 events---sweeten up the pot--but on a lot that small it really has no benifit for you to do that.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Depending on the shape of the lot, could be challenge with your truck. Any pics/drawings?

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I love these thread titles. I was about to dial 911. Sounds like you're putting all your chips in on the first hand. Good way to lose everything.

Go sub for somebody or drive their truck for the first year or two. You might hate plowing. It's not glamorous and it's not as easy as it may seem. I have a love/hate relationship with it and always have.

9. allroad

allroad Junior Member

all good info...