1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by KTLawnCo, Jan 11, 2011.

1. KTLawnCo

KTLawnCo Member
    from VA

I am new to plowing...I am located in Northern VA

I am having a a lot of trouble finding business. I have been emailing everyone and looking on craigslist and walked in places and asked for their manager. I am just finding no work.

I have no work at all!!

Can you give me some input on how to get work. I have posted all over plow site looking for work and everything. I just cant seem to find any. I dont really want to do residential becuase they dont want snow removal when there is only 3 inches of snow they would rather drive over it.

Any help would be better then nothing...

2. coyote

coyote Member
    from montana

Hang in there. Like alot of new business ventures it takes a couple years to establish. I was in the same boat 2 yrs ago and now at times hire another plow just to keep up.
  3. vinces designs

vinces designs Junior Member

Its too late now, But in July start cold calling all the bsinesses in your area ( within the size you think you can handle) and start asking for who makes the decision on plowing and maintenance, Once you know who to talk to just ask them if they are accepting proposals for the upcoming season, Do you currently service any accounts in the summer or are you just trying to plow? Sales is a numbers game if you have to call 100 peple you may be able to quote 20% out of that you may get 2-3 jobs just keep pluggin along and dont give up.
  4. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

You should look into subcontracting for another company in your area. It's probably too late now, but call around to other contractors near you and ask them if they are looking for subs. You never know, someone may need help (they could have picked up some new accounts, other subs could have quit or been fired). This will get you work, and you will gain experience and knowledge, and than as vinces designs said, next summer hit the pavement, knock on doors, pick up the phone, get in contact with as many businesses as you can find that have smaller lots that you can handle. Be persistent, and your hard work will pay off. Good Luck :waving: