1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by dfdsuperduty, Dec 26, 2010.

1. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I would like to put a single led light (flashing) on my salt spreader just wondering what would be the easiest way to tap into power for it? I have thought about the auger or spinner but wouldn't it dim as i turned the power down to each unit? any and all help would be appreciated.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I would tap into your parking lights. Only bad thing about that is the light will be on whenever your parking lights are on, or you can tap it into your break lights so when you hit the breaks it comes on or reverse light so when you are backing up it comes on. If you don't want to do either of those options then you will have to run a seperate power wire to the back of the truck. I do think it would dim if it was on the switch for the spinner motor.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

if you have a 7 pin trailer socket run a wire off the power lead in it...lower right pin if i remember correctly, then just put an inline switch in it, you would have to get out of the cab to turn it on but it might be an option

or run a hot wire from the power lead into a relay, then from the relay into your light with the power activated wire running from your spinner motor into your relay...this way the light will run whenever the motor does but not draw amperage from the motor itself

4. ihwild

ihwild Junior Member

Or just unplug it even if you don't want to bother with the switch. but that is exactly what I was going to recommend if you had a trailer plug available. Every thing else I can think of would require running a power wire from somewhere up front even to feed a relay activated by the equipment.

Rich

5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

doesnt the salt dog have any wires buried in it for a vibe or a tail light?..use those

6. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

7. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

for my v boxes, i have the 7 pin plug and already have a strobe wire through it for the chipper and trailers. I use it for the tali,brake light and strobes lights to connect up to nice and clean.