1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help you get some jobs

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ableroofing, Nov 28, 2007.

1. ableroofing

ableroofing Junior Member

I just started to plow for myself this year, I have been plowing for 5 yrs for someone els but he wouldnt pay more this year and with the gas prices I tried to get my own jobs. I printed out on my computer about 1000 flyers and put them on mailboxes. I have got about 50 calls which I have 35 contracts signed. My prices are not dirt cheap but not the highest either. I might have just did the flyers at the right time but it seems a good way to get some jobs, I am thinking of getting another truck to take on some more jobs there are a copule of cheep plow trucks that I have to look at. anyway I just thought that someone starting out might want to try this. In 2 weeks I went from no work to about 35 jobs

2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

How long ago was this? Now that it's almost December, I'd think that most people would've signed with someone.

3. SLS007

SLS007 Junior Member

Good for you! That's an excellent response rate on the flyers. I'm jealous because I've got no action from the flyers that I put out and I thought they were top notch. Can I ask how long it took for the flyers to generate calls?

Rick

4. mmplowing

mmplowing Member

Im hoping you didnt actually put the flyers in the USPS mailboxes as around here they will go after you for no stamps.

Anyway, we have had god successes with flyers as well...just depends the area.

Where in NH are you from?

5. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Behind the flag or in the newspaper box......

6. DAVID1963

DAVID1963 Member

i just want to know how you are going to get to 35 customers in one snow fall by yourself with one truck?not to mention im sure they all want to be first! are they all 2 car drive ways?? i have about 15 contracts,5 commercial and 10 residential and im worried i wont be able to get to all of them in a decent time.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  7. ableroofing

ableroofing Junior Member

I put the flyer's behind the flags on the mailbox's, it was about 2 to 3 weeks ago when I put the flyer's out and I am still getting calls now from them. I have got about 45 calls from the 1000 flyer's. The promos with the flyer was free shoveling to front door and the 12th plow of the year free. I am figuring that if there are 12 plow-able storms this yr I would have made alot of money so one free one wouldnt hurt that much. ( I have someone that will ride with me and shovel when I am plowing. I am also hoping I can get all the driveways done early I will just have to start early and maybe clean up the first 10 after I am done with the rest. I am looking for a cheep plow truck now but you get what you pay for so I will try to get them all done with 1 truck. ( I did ask how many driveways other people had, but didnt get any solid numbers some said 25-30 others said 50+) Im in new hampshire (concord area).

8. SLS007

SLS007 Junior Member

If you're doing this full-time for the Winter I would say it is probably better to have too much work instead of too little. You've got the make a decent living! If you've offerred free shovelling you better always have that second guy with you otherwise it's going to really slow you down. With that many contracts I think you're making a wise move by considering investing in a second truck. I know you get what you pay for but I would want to have a back-up plan if unit #1 took a dump at an inopportune time.
    How much were you charging on average for the monthly contract that you offerred?
    Rick

9. SnowKid16

SnowKid16 Junior Member

Could you post a pictire of the flyers? I am currently trying to find a flyer to use.
    Thanks
    Ryan:waving: