1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with wiring!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 06HD BOSS, Sep 14, 2006.

1. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Im trying to wire my 06 Silverado and im really confused when it comes to the turn signal & parking light wires. For example the manual says "connect the pink wire from the wiring harness to the passanger side turn signal wire" And the same for the drivers side (just differnt color wires). The problem is...when it says connect the wire from the harness to the turn signal wire, there are 3 wires going into the turn signal (blue, brown & black) also when it says to connect the yellow wire to the drivers side parking light wire there are 2 wires to choose from (brown & blue). The only other question is, the harness has 'male' adapters on it which seem like they would plug in to the factory parts somewhere...how & where??? Note the attached picture with the wires and connectors im talking about.

plowwiring.jpg

2. NEHawaiian

NEHawaiian Member
    from CT

call me and we can help!

Contact Blayne @ 860 601-0318

3. 06HD BOSS

Dont all answer at once! haha.
    I figured it out though, for future reference...
    PLOW HARNESS | TRUCK SIDE
    YELLOW(driver side) ----------BROWN
    PURPLE(driver side)------------BLUE
    PINK(pass. side)-----------------BLUE

4. 06HD BOSS

:help: :help:
    OK another problem!!!!
    After having just finished wiring everything, and with ALL the lights working properly on the truck...i then hooked it up to the plow just to test it. (note the truck/plow headlight switch is in the truck mode) So as soon as i plug in the connectors, the plow parking lights come on and the headlights on the truck go off. So then i flip the switch and nothing, do it again back to 'truck', nothing. With the plow disconnected i have NO truck lights at all!!! Only parking lights and turnsignals. The 'truck/plow' headlight switch is in the truck mode! Before i hooked up to the plow everything was perfect! But once i hooked up all my lights dont work anymore! HELP!:cry: :help:

5. NEHawaiian

NEHawaiian Member
    from CT

Check the head light adapters and make sure that you have set them to the "A" side. What you did was you put one of them on the "B" side and it popped your fuses. Also check the wiring harness to ensure that you have it set for standard trucks.

6. 06HD BOSS

Thanks man. everything is all figured out. works perfect. thanks for your help

7. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

How long did it take you to do the wiring im about to start on my truck for this weekend.

8. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

did u put on the mount too hd boss?

9. 06HD BOSS

If i remember right, total wiring job took about an hour. There isnt anything tough about any part of the install, it all just takes time to figure out being the 1st time doing it.
    Yes i did. I lifted it up and in place with a 3ton floor jack while i bolted it all down.

The install as a whole...just be patient and do everything the right way the 1st time through and it'll all work out. Total install ran almost 4 hours. I did it over a few weekends, just a couple hours at a time.

10. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I'm experiencing the same problem, but only on the high beams. Low beams work fine, but high beam blows the fuses. I didn't think it was possible to screw this up because of the plug-n-play nature of the Boss harness. The A and B side thing seems like it would be tough to screw up because one side is about 3 feet longer than the other. I don't think the harness intended for the drivers side would be able to reach the passengers side. I read in the Boss install manual that the high beam wire should be stored away unconnected, but that just doesn't make any sense because how would you use high beam if the wire isn't connected? I spent an hour with a test meter and didn't come up with anything.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your missing the whole A and B thing areo. It isn't in relation to the pass or dr side of the harness, its in relation to which way you plug the individual adapter plugs into the truck harness. The connectors will plug in either way and can be flipped 180 deg. Look at each side of the connector plugs...you'll see that there marked "A" and "B" ON EACH CONNECTOR.

So I can pretty much guarantee that you have one or both of the hi beam head light connectors plugged in backward where they plug into the truck. Sounds like you got lucky with the low beams and connected them correctly...which is why they're working ok. What year is your truck? 99-02 need plugged in so that the locking tab is on the "B" side. '98 and prior as well as '03 and newer need plugged in on the "B" side.
    Do you have the paper work for the head light adapters? It will explain it all.

12. jryden145

jryden145 Member

I think B&B meant to say that 03 and newer need to be plugged in on the "A" side.

J

13. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Ah HA! Non polarized plugs. I didn't even consider that since every other plug on the truck only goes one way. Basically, I'm sending juice straight to ground with the plug flipped the wrong way. That's got to be the easiest fix in the world now that I know what's wrong.

THANK YOU both for explaining the issue. I read the Boss instructions online, but I didn't catch that A/B was referring to the side of the plug rather than a seperate plug altogether.

The donor truck was '03, mine is '06.

14. 06HD BOSS

I did the same thing when i read it. I thought i understood what it meant, but its the easiest mistake.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Oops yea got two "B"'s in there. :eek:

16. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I've gotten really good at popping the grill and headlights out of my truck... It took me less than 10 minutes to fix and that included greasing up the connections with dielectric. Now it all works perfectly. Hopefully this thread will be available in the archives for a long time so other people can learn about the A/B reversible plugs too. Just as a public service, I'll consolidate everything I've learned about this into one paragraph:

The Chevy wiring harness for BOSS RT3 systems (both straight and 'V' blades) can be connected in such a manner that the truck's headlight fuses blow immediately. These fuses are in the lower left corner of the under-hood fuse panel. The reason the fuses blew is because the socket that connects the truck's original headlight wires into the BOSS harness is not a polarized plug and can be plugged in either way. You had a 50/50 chance of getting it right if you didn't look at the tiny "A" or "B" stamped on either side of the socket. If you got it wrong, the hot wire is connected directly to ground. Fixing it is a simple matter of unplugging the socket, flipping the plug, and plugging it back in. For 98 and earlier or 03 and later, the correct way is with the locking tab on "A". For 99-02, the tab should be on "B".

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008