1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with wiring spotlight on spreader

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by gman2310, Jan 7, 2015.

1. gman2310

gman2310 Senior Member

I have a gas vbox spreader that I am trying to add a spot light to. I am trying to avoid running a wire to the cab. Basically when spreaders on i would like the light on. I tried to hook light to charging wire but it keeps blowing the bulbs out on the lights. Does anyone know how to hook up a spot light. Its a buyers gas vbox spreader with battery on the spreader
  2. Led light wire it to the clutch wire
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well sorry to say but running wires into the cab is about the best option.
  4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I ran a pig tail off my strobe power to the back of the truck and plug the spreader light into it. Turn the strobe on and spreader spots turn on which being flood lights also act like back up lights too.
  5. gman2310

gman2310 Senior Member

Yea I currently have it hooked up to clutch and it just gets annoying cause I use the blast button mostly and look like a blinking object crossing parking lot
  6. AG09

AG09 Senior Member

what about wiring it to the salter battery with a switch? You would just have to turn it on when you start your salting for the storm and turn it off when you are all done for the storm.
  7. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Why on earth would you NOT want it switched from in the cab? Turn it on when you enter the lot and use it for 1)work light while loading walk behind spreader at back of truck, 2)back up light, 3)spreader light when spreading, 4)get off my ass/anti tailgate light. Turn off when leaving to go to next job. IMO, this is the only sensible set up.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  8. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

what he said.....Thumbs Up
  9. gsphunter

gsphunter Junior Member

KISS method. Keep it simple. Run a hot wire off your batter with a plug in it. Put a plug on the wire coming out of the light. Plug it in when you're ready to head out and unplug it when you're done.

Never had one draw a battery down enough to where the spreader wouldn't start. Then it's on all the time, which is nice for backing up.
  10. weevensteven

weevensteven Junior Member

You could look for trailer wiring installed from the factory. Many trucks have an electric brake wire at the back of the truck, and the other end is under the dash. This way you could put in a switch up front, and splice in a light in back.