1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with which v-plow to buy

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jofa390, Oct 27, 2015.

1. jofa390

jofa390 Junior Member

Looking for input on which v-plow to buy.

I will be plowing a couple smaller commercial lots (parking for 15-20 cars) and a few driveways. My truck is a 2004 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab with a HEMI and 100,000 miles. I have done some plowing but not a significant amount.

I am leaning towards a DXT but could consider an XT.

Thought I wanted to get a 9.2 but now rethinking and might go 8.2. Sometimes I may need to plow around cars and other obstacles.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I always go as big as I can. But if width could be an issue for you go 8.2 and get some wings for it. I would also get the DXT as I like the dual trip design.

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

My next Boss blade will definitely be a 9.2 DXT . I don't find any problems in tight spots with my older 9.2 v-blade now.
  4. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I personally would get the 9.2, but if you have concerns then get the 8, and like someone else said if you find its not enough get the wings.
    I have an xt and love it, but if i was buying one tomorrow i would probably lean towards the dxt for the dual trip, and better back dragging.
  5. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have an 8'2" VXT. Great plow and just the right size for my need. It carries well on the truck and if I needed additional width I could always buy a set of wings.
  6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We have 3 dxts and are In the process of buying 3 more. One 9.2 and two 10'. It's the best plow on the market for me right now
  7. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

I have a poly 8.2 dxt on my 02 cummins... While I wanted to go bigger, the deal I got this one for I couldnt pass it up.. The dxt is nice with the dual trip.. Are you set on getting a vblade?? I sure as heck didnt need a vblade either but like I said the deal was good. Especially since I got it for the price of a straight blade
  8. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

Poly DXT

We have all 8'2" poly DXT's and absolutely love them !!!
  9. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

I have a boss vxt 8.2 with wings. Works great and wings are easy and fast to take off when I need to plow drive through lanes. If I was to do it again I would get the dxt though if you have rough lots.
  10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 8.2 with wings / makes it 10 feet. My next one I would like a 9 2 with wings but they say that you are not supposed to put wings on a 9 2. I have been told they will bolt on. Also have a 7 6 with wings. All are V plows, do not do straight plows :)
  11. PlowingHD

PlowingHD Junior Member

Well I have had both 8-2 and 9-2 flat top and XT blades and have used them all in the same parking lot, if you are plowing parking lots and time is of the essence, DO NOT buy an 8-2. period. The Hemi in your 2500 is light enough that you could push a 9-2 with no problem, I wouldn't screw around with the wings unless you are doing only parking lots. If you go with a DXT then I don't think you can run wings anyways. The best analogy that I can give you in my opinion is that using an 8-2 in a parking lot is like using a kids snow shovel on your driveway. In the debate of DXT -vs- XT I cannot give you much of an opinion other than if you have a lot of manholes and curbs to deal with I think that would be the only benefit of a DXT. Hope this helps and happy shopping- Garrett
  12. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I run wings on my 9.2DXT
  13. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Now that is crazy! You only talking about a foot here. It is true that you can move more snow with an 9-2 over a 8-2 but it just a foot on every pass. In 10 passes you would have gained approximately 10' or a little over one pass. If you are doing a large lot. You might get done a few minutes earlier. If you do a 16' driveway with your 9-2 and I do one of the same length with my 8-2. Guess what? We get done in the same time.
  14. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Winged 8.2 VS Non Winged 9.2
    The 8.2 is wider by 10 inches ish
    The wings are angled forward some and hold more snow in the V forward position - than a plow with out wings.
    This also hurts on longer deep runs as it does not roll off as well.
    I do a lot of snow moving so the wings help - plus I have one drive that I have to take them off to get by some steps.
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

get the 9.2 .
    Remember it's not 9.2 wide when in scoop or the Vee position.

I have a 8.2, i added wings, it is now 10.1 and it weighs more than a 9.2.
    the ends of the wings are rubber they dont scrap as well and it adds to the cost as the rubber will need to be replace when you put new edges on.

Get the 9.2...Thumbs Up