1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Western Pump

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nighthawk7, Sep 3, 2009.

1. nighthawk7

nighthawk7 Junior Member

Hey guys,

I have an older western pump and plow with cable drive controls. At times the plow will go side to side and up and down slowly, yet other times it just flies from side to side. It is mounted on a 93 f-250, and only has one battery.

Do you think i need to just clean out my hydraulic fluid system, and it should run smoother?
    or am i in need of a larger alternator?

Thanks

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

pump

i would flush it if it has not been done in a while ,but i would look under the covers where the cable's go into they can get filled with water and freeze up when the temp goes down .seal the covers up good with silicone and coat the cable's were they go into the housing .some people fill the cavity's for the cable's with grease ,

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Good advice

Drain, flush and refill the pump with Premium plow fluid. The cable control units will run just fine on ATF, but the lighter viscosity Premium fluid will flow faster, easier and with less amp draw.

Next I'd check the battery and charging system, inadequate battery Amp Hours and to low amp an alternator would defiantly cause your problem.

If it gets slow then gains speed if you let the battery regain charge then it's the power supply. Use the search feature, there are many good threads on up-gradeing your charging system.

4. nighthawk7

nighthawk7 Junior Member

Hey thanks alot for the information guys, i was kinda worried i would have to put in a new alternator as well... but I'm gonna do a fluid flush first. Have either of you heard of flushing the system with kerosene to clean it out?

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

pump

yes kerosene will work fine ,just run oil through it to get the kerosene out before you button it up .

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Meyer Hydra-Flush works best in any plow, it cleans, lubricates, and is compatible with everything