1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help With western pump

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by renegade2002, Dec 3, 2011.

1. renegade2002

renegade2002 Junior Member

I have a an older western plow, and it won't raise the plow. The pump is in great condition and works to angle, but not to raise. I have had just about everything apart and can't find anything wrong. The next step I'm going to try is taking the cylinder out, but does anyone know of something to try first?

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Try taking the chain off and see if it will raise the lifting arm with no weight. It takes a lot more pressure to lift than angle. Also check and make sure you are getting power the the proper cartridge and it is opening. I believe it is the S2 cartridge? i may be wrong though. Keep us posted.

3. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Per the the manual I am assuming you have a uni mount cause you said older.
    Snowplow won't raise, motor runs.
    1. Lift cylinder packing nut too tight.
    2. Clogged pump filter( all functions are affected)
    3. Worn or damaged pump.
    4. Poor connections on battery cables.
    5. Solenoid valve coil not activating properly.
    6. Hydraulic system malfunction.
    7. Malfunctioning controller.
    My experience has been the wire broken in the controller leading to the pad, usually right where the wires enter the bottom of the controller. They are very small wires.