1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with western plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trying to make, Jan 19, 2005.

1. trying to make

trying to make Member

this has probably been asked before but I could not find it sorry.I have a western unimount plow about 10 to 15 years old.bought used have no paper work.where do I add hydraulic fluid.is it the square bolt on top.Or a allen screw need to get it going .I think it is low.plow is not raising or turning seems like it wants too but not enough power.any help
  2. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

As you are standing in "front" of your truck ( or plow ) the fill hole is located at the bottom left where the electric motor is on the pump housing. Usually is a square threaded insert. Make sure you leave a gap for air inside the fluid housing, dont fill to the top.
  3. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

I beg to differ, I too have a 10-15 year old unimount and although the book says the fill hole is where the previous post'er describes, mine is on the TOP left, but YES it is the square nut.

As for low fluid, NEVER let it get that low, and if you just got it. Have it serviced NOW!!!!!

Just like your car, fluid change is cheap insurance, dont forget the screen, filter, whatever it is.
  4. trying to make

trying to make Member

thanks.top left square head bolt'.was slightly low.not the problem though.I made a stupid mistake embarrassed to say.I had someone help me hook it up.he will be driving this truck so it seemed like a good idea.I hooked the drivers side up and he watched.had him do his side.he did not hook up the bar that hooks on the light tower.It was jammed.I found out after I bought 4 quarts of hydraulic fluid.1 for each truck.after I added to the pump for some reason started turning left and right no up no down.had the other driver try and lift the plow.saw there was unusual tension on the light tower fixed problem in a minute.I wont mention how I smashed my favorite finger ,left middel.but I may add never put your favorite finger under a nine foot plow.
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That is the correct location for the fill. On the right side of the tank there is also a allen screw 2/3's of the way up. You are supposed to take this screw out and fill the tank until the fluid comes out there.