1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help With Western 1000 Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cobraman, Nov 30, 2007.

1. cobraman

cobraman Member

I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong when getting power to the controller on this spreader. I admit I am an electricity idiot so..... I have power to the head from the battery and the fusebox. Checked with a 12 volt tester. This is a brand new controller and it is now giving me 6 flashes which supposedly means I have excess current. How do I fix this? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

I am not familiar with this spreader, I was waiting to see if someone else might respond. I have a Fisher Polycaster which probably uses the same controller. Excess current would lead me to believe something is jammed. Can you turn the spinner by hand? Does it have a belt, if so can you move the belt by hand?

3. cobraman

cobraman Member

I was able to get it into the garage today and it looks like the bonehead I bought it from never greased the lower bearings and they are frozen solid. I can't even back the set screw out to get them off. I am it soaking in Fluid Film right now so hopefully I can get them off in the morning and make a run to the parts store. Good thing I got a written warranty from the seller. Now to collect for the parts. Maybe I should just take it to the shop and let him pay for labor too.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

At least your learning more about the spreader.