1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with walks! Sub or not to sub?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Bossman 92, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a handful of places where we do the walks. Last year with the increased work load I barely had enough time to do them and this year will be no different. Should I sub them to someone or not. Total time including travel would be about 3 man hours. If I sub them, how do I find someone, and then what do I pay them? I know 3 hours worth of work isn't much, but I really don't have the time.

I thought about finding someone, giving them my blowers/shovels, all the ice melt they need, and paying them a decent wage per hour.

Walks need done by 7 am, and during a day storm they should be done as needed.

Thanks Bossman

2. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

remember if its you equipment they are not an sub they would be an employee

3. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

unless you rent it to them....

4. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

he had a few high school kids last year do them and we paid $15/hour using our equipment

5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

You can try a temp service for the labor, but you would have to stay on top of them to make sure it was done right.

I would call the other snow plow companies in town. Maybe they have a dedicated sidewalk guy that you could sub from them.

Or get bigger faster sidewalk cleaning equipment to make take less than 3 hrs

Good Luck