1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with truck side lights on new V plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by purplehavoc, Nov 4, 2012.

1. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Hey guys,
    Having a bit of an issue getting my truck headlights to work after installing my new V plow.
    Truck is a 05 GMC 2500hd, plow came with the headlight adapters for the 4 light system which I plugged in according to the directions, and the dual burn wire hooked to ground per directions, as well tried reversing it according to manual,but have no low or high beam on the truck at all.
    Test light shows no power at any of the light terminals.
    Any help pointing me in another direction would be great as I am at a loss with this today.
    Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check for blown headlight fuses in the under hood panel, you'll likely find they're all blown. Usually from connecting the plow wiring incorrectly the first time.

3. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Thank you sir, in all my frusturation I didn't think to check fuses, which were popped.
    I assume that the dual burn wire goes to positive for my 05 as it says 99-02 should be grounded. Does it matter that I have the all on headlight mod already done to my truck?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Which all on method did you use on the truck? If you used the diode trick in the underhood panel there's no need to even use the dual burn relay in the plow harness. So you can leave it's wires disconnected at the battery.

5. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Ok thanks. I did use the diode method, so I will tape that wire off.

6. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Replaced fuses this morning and now my headlights work, but my high beams are also coming on with the lows. High indicator is not illuminated. I rechecked my connections and don't see an issue there. Am I missing something totally obvious?
    Thanks

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I realize you stated that you already double checked your connections but check them again, you probably still have one of the headlight adapter plugged in backward. All four need connected to the "A" side of the plugs. If even one is connected backward you will have the situation you're in now.

8. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

Went out and looked at truck tonight and found that if all plugs are hooked to A no lights at all, if I hook all to B then hi comes on with my low beams. I am at a loss now.
    The light adapter part # they gave me is MSC04601
    Not sure if it matters, but I do have HID in my low beams only and installed in a pair of factory Denali headlight lenses.
    Any more suggestions would be great.
    Thanks.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have the correct adapters and "A" is the correct orientation for the truck, so leave them there.

Are the HID's relayed, or not? If not they often won't fire through a plow harness with all it's extra connections. So bypass the HID's temporarily for testing purposes as diagnosing lighting issues when any add on accessories are involved can be daunting.

Check the low beam wires right at the OEM plugs again for power with the lows on. Is it there? If not you're probably into blown fuses again for starters.

10. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Member

I thank you for your Help B&B, lights worked properly when I by passed my HID's.
    The set of Beamers HID's I have did come with a single relay and harness in the kit which I did not need initially. If I wire in the relay harness I should be able to keep my HID's in for plow season?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Excellent and you're welcome. I suspected they were the problem once you mentioned them. Go ahead and add the relay and they should work just fine with the plow wiring.

I often use Retro's HID's when there's a plow involved because they're one of the few that will usually fire through all the added connections and such without a relay. Just an FYI.