1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with trailor lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mmtwin, Aug 13, 2007.

1. mmtwin

mmtwin Member

Pulled boat out last night lost park lights. Replaced fuse underhood still don't work. This is for my 2001 2500hd

Mike

2. rgclawncare

rgclawncare Junior Member

Tell us some more details, did you disconnect your trailer lights like your supposed to? Do your trailer lights work? Did you replace the fuse under the dash? More Info...

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

lights

all ways un plug the lights when you back into the water,not as bad on the chevy but with any sport utility's or any thing using a taillight converter they can fry the diodes,check your ground on the taillights and the bulbs themselves if it leaks water in the lights some times corrosion will flash accross the contacts and pop the bulbs.

4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

chevy and i dont unplug the lights when backing into water. i do have submersible lights but we all know submersible and able to be submersed without messing up are two different things.

last time that happened to me i clean ground contacts running from back of lights to ground. then i undid the light connections thinking it was a bad contact. put the foam tube things onthe wires that you heat up and they melt and shrink and seal. still didnt help. traced wiring up to the truck. found nothing. wiggled the actual connector/adaptor connecting the trailer wiring to the truck and they went on. .....
    can anyone say dialectic grease? that was just my experience. cleaned connections on plug adapter. no problem since. duh. was what i was thinking after tracing wiring for no reason.

im hoping you were talking about losing the lights on the trailer. if you were talking about losing the lights ON THE TRUCK you may be in for more fun than i have with my trailer. wish you the best though and i encourage you to look at obvious solutions before ripping apart unecessarily like i tend to. .like checking plug connections and perhaps the actual lights and then grounds.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2007
  5. Mike there are separate fuses for the trailer light circuits, ie; parking lights, left directional, right directional etc. Pull the small fuse cover off on the left side of the dash and look on the legend for TRL PRK. Good luck.

Motorman 007

6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

too funny. couple days after my first post on this thread i blew out the trailer lights. took the covers off the lights and the bulbs were junk. bought new bulbs (four bucks i bought a couple extra) put em in and they are back. guess i should be unplugging the trailer when i back it in to. probably easier changing the bulbs every so often than unplugging it. i take the boat out two or three times a week and this is the first time ive blown the bulbs this season.

7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

green

i have only seen this once the factory plug were the harness from the truck plugs into it got corroded and lost contact.