1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with tractor set up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kwc, Sep 9, 2010.

1. kwc

kwc Junior Member

I am going to be getting a tractor with a snowblower to clear 35 driveways all about 300 to 500 feet long. The tractor is going to be a Massey Ferguson 1660 or 3645. The snow blower will be a pronovost. First question i have is the 1660 with a pronovost PUMA-74H a good set up? Any one run one of these Hydraulic snowblower how did it work? If I go for the 3645 the blower with be a pronovost P-862TRC or should i get an erskine front mount off the rear pto? I am new to tractors with snowblower all advise is greatly appreciated.
  2. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower and tractor

My first question is will either of them have an all weather cab as you will want one with a cab with the amount of time you will spend cleaning the 35 driveways in my opinion.

The 1660 with a cab would allow you to work in your shirt sleeves and be much less fatigued from the cold.

If you buy the 1660 new of course you wil have a warranty and payments etc.
    you would want loaded rears for the 1600 as well and possibly chains depending on the terrain.

If you buy the hydraulic drive snow blower you wil be limited to the tractors available hydraulic flow which may be reduced with the use of the steering circuit on the 1600 where if yuo used the rear PTO mount this would not be an issue to affect the snow blowers performance.

The use of the rear mounted PTO 3 point snow blower on the 1660 would allow you to have an elevated view of the snow blower and what is ahead of you while cleaning.

JC Whitney has a lot of rear view cameras on sale that you can mount and reduce the need to look over your shoulder. they have one for 99 dollars that is a wireless licence plate mounted camera on sale now- it was on sale a week or two ago anyway.

A front mounted blower wil limit your filed of view and if something is buried and you cannot see it............................

The Pronovost Group 1 P72TRC is rated for a 30-55 horsepower prime mover and would be well within the power range for the 1660.

The Pronovost family has been making snow blowers for a long time and after seeing them up close I can candidly say they are of very high quality construction and well designed for the purpose.

You will need dual remotes for this snow blower, the TRC with the rotating drum will allow you fast disposal of the snow left or right without the spout if you have room to dispose of the snow that way ( I am unsure if the TRC needs a third remote or uses diverter valve to rotate the drum but you dealer wil know this for sure).

Making the first pass depending on snow depth will be your longest pass in time used as you could make half cuts at a bit faster speed.

A snow blower with hydraulic rotation and spout angle control wil allow you to put snow where you want to quickly and get rid of it the first time.

The tie rod type hydraulic cylinders are easy to repair or replace if needed.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  3. kwc

kwc Junior Member

Thanks For the info all the driveways are payment or stamped concrete so i will not be able to use chains do you think the 1660 is going to be to light. I would use a plow but it is a highend neighborhood i would have to stack snow on the lawns. The TRC is cool now i just need to find out if i need a third remote. Also am i right that the speed of snowblowing will not be over 1mph?
  4. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower a la condo

Have the rears tires loaded with rim guard or windshield washer fluid and you will be fine.

I see no issues- if you had the same size axle i would tell you to have the fronts loaded as well but loading the rears with rim guard or windshield washer fluid per the dealers recommended volume per tire and you will be fine.

You just have to drive according to the road conditions and any possible ice treating it no differently than you would with an autromobile and 4 wheel drive trucks and tractors do get stuck!!, so drive conservatively and you will get there a few minutes later and still do the job with no issues and still have happy clients.

If you call Tudor and Jones on monday they will be able to tell you if you need a third remote for it..

You should visit the Pronovost home page and look at all the videos for the snowblowers;

1 MPH is 88 feet per minute
    2 MPH is 176 feet per minute
    3 MPH is 264 feet per minute
    4 MPH is 352 feet per minute
    5 MPH is 440 feet per minute

so you are able to move as fast as the snow depth will let you; remember that snow banks will require you to crawl to remove the build up with the blower.
    and they have a commentator talking about the blowers from what I remember- sorry I have not looked at it since late January when I was on bed rest for 3 three weeks.

Most likely it has a diverter valve mounted in the cab for the hydraulic motor used to rotate the drum by moving the flow to the motor to spin the drum for the few seconds it takes to rotate it as it is an open center hydraulic system.

I believe they talk about the TRC blowers as well in the video..

You will probably have to leave a skim coat of snow on the paver driveways with the steel skid shoes as it has a standard steel scraper edge which is replaceable.

The PXPL86 has a plastic wear edge which reduces damage to almost zero butr the PXPL86 is more expensive to own form a purchase standpoint but the design of the PXPL models allows them to clean right up to a garage door with ease as it scrapes like a plow
    and your tractor wil handle it power wise I think as it is only 4 HP short of the minimum all you need to do is move slower in deep snows and you will be able to clean to the pavers and asphalt with the scraper blade.

If you get a long term contract for these homes The PXPL 86 would be worth it as you can also move up in horse power if you trade up and keep the blower with no issue as the maximum HP for the PXPL86 is 75 HP and the wear edges are tivar plastic as standard equipment.

Anyway I hope I have helped you in some small way with your decision and not hindered you.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Wow Leon you sure do your research. You are absolutely right Pronovost makes quality snow blowers, keep in mind that the PUMA line is their lower end blower. You will need a third valve for a TRC model, I see no use for this option when blowing residential drives. If you are looking into an PXP blower be prepared to put out big money, its an amazing blower, that will do a professional job. Lastly you will be able to blow at speeds of 3mph to 7.
    If you have any othe questions or want to talk on the phone give me a call, I have been doing this for years. 514.622.9286 Paul
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If I were you I'd take Paul up on his offer.
  7. kwc

kwc Junior Member

thanks paul I will be calling you soon