1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scotty2222, Jan 2, 2002.

1. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

I currently have 315 75R16 BFG's All terrain tires, I need to get new tires. I wanted to know what everyone would recomend for a good all around tire. I will be plowing with these tires plus I still want to stay with the 315's. Should I go with a Mud terrain tire or an All terrain. Any help would be good Thanks

2. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

stick with them (bfg at's). they are the best, in my opinion, for all around traction. been using them for about 6 years and no problems. excellent in icy conditions because of there many sipes and grooves, the more bitting edges the better. plus in the event of a blow out or flat they are readily availible and stocked by most tire dealers for a replacement.

3. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

I have also had lots of luck with the BF's. Just remember that if you are doing plowing you will want to consider a "Skinny" tire to get down to the pavement. I had a pair of BF AT that were 12" wide. Now I have the 9" and they are alot better. And they are stocked almost everywhere.
    You will also like the thicker sidewall they have.

Just a thought.

4. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

I did like the BFG's AT but wanted more traction for the summer because of I do alot of off roading too, would it hurt me to go with a Mud Terrain tire. The tire store by me can also add more sipe to the tire(something extra thing they do to the tire) if I wanted to any ways, Would this make the Mudder better or not. If all else fails I still have my stock 265/75R16's tires and rims. They are just the regular( road/highway) tire not a AT.

5. intimidator

intimidator Member

My last plow truck had BFG mud T/As and I loved them, lasted good too almost 4 years. But I have heard that all terrains are actually better in snow (BFG rep). By the way, what year f-250 do you have? I tried to put 315s (BFG all terrains) and they hit on that blocker beam under the front bumper, even with springs arched 2".

Jason

6. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

Jason
    I have 2001 psd C/C With add-a-leaf's front and rear,and X spings in the front which gives me about 3.5 of lift in the front and 3 in the rear. With my plow on I had to remove the blocker beam, even before it didn't hit that just alittle rub on the springs during hard turns. If you have any more questions just ask.

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had General Grabber M/Ts on my last truck, they worked very well but I only ran them in the winter months. They were 235/85/16, I don't know if they make them oversize or not.

8. sledhead

sledhead Member

Tires

Stay with the BFG ATs.
    I have a set of 285-75-16s on my 02 F-250 SD.
    In my opinion, there the best tire for snow.
    I run em at 55psi frt, 50 psi rear.
    Smooth ride and handle great on wet, dry, or snow covered roads. Plus I get great mileage out of em. 50,000 on my last set. (though they were on a GMC 1/2 ton 4x4).

Sledhead

9. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

sledhead

Are you running them on stock rims? If so with that much pressure are the tires going to wear to quickly in the center. T he stock rim is I thinck a 7.5 or 8in with those size tires they will wear in the center more with the added tire pressure. I currently have the BFG's AT 315's and only run 40-45 # of pressure and they to are even wearing in the center quickly(with 40K on them).

10. sledhead

sledhead Member

Yes they are on stock 8" rims.
    I only run 55/50 in the winter, for plowing and hauling the sleds to the U.P.
    Summertime I run 45/40.
    Have not noticed any uneven wear yet.

Sledhead

11. Rider1340

Rider1340 Member

B.F.GOODRICH..........BLACKWALLS OUT.

12. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

Well I value everyone post but I think I maid my mind up.

It was between the BFG's(which I currently Have) or the Good year MT/R's or the Mickey thompson Baja radial claw.

I think I'm going to go with the Goodyear MT/R's 315/75R16.

If I'm making a mistake let me know but I pretty sure that this will be the best tire for my needs.

If any one is useing these tires please let me know how you like them

Thanks again to everyone;) :p :)

13. MATTHEW

MATTHEW Member
    from NE OHIO

So glad this thread came up. I am to buy tires on saturday. I was going to go with BFG's, but someone gave me rave reviews about the Maxxis Mudders. They have real big knobs angling outwards and supposedly, they last longer than BFG's and have tapered edges so you don't get the screaming (even though I kinda like that) I pretty much had my mind set on the mudders, but tell me once more-should I really just get the BFG's?:confused:

14. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

MATTEHEW
    I was running the BFG's ATs and wanted to get the mudders from BFG and heard and read alot of articles about the Goodyear MT/R's tires they were rated alittle better than BFG, in the mud and the road.

Don't get me wrong BFG is one heck of a tire but this is just what I read and heard.

Never seen the Maxxis tire I'll try and search for them to see more about them

Last edited: Jan 3, 2002