1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with tire chains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 94gt331, Oct 1, 2016.

1. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Hi, I have a 2006 dodge 3500 dually. Does great pushing snow, however on steep driveways and lanes it gets stuck easy. Got new tires last season so the tires are pretty good for this season, but I think I'm going to get some chains to slip on when needed for some sketchy place I do. Question should I put chains on just the back tires when needed, or on front as well. Being a dually should I run chains on all 4 back tires or is that overkill. %90 of time chains aren't needed but it would come in handy at times. Advice needed from guys that run chains. Thanks for the help. Also chain recommendations?

2. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Are you putting the correct amount of ballast in the bed of your truck? If not this may be all you need. We plow in 2 wheel most of the time unless traveling from site to site.

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

If you just need chains to get unstuck and don't really want to use them for the entire driveway, get strap on emergency chains. I carry them; they work snd they give me peace of mind knowing that I have them. Relatively cheap too. Got mine at tirechains dot com years ago; think about $30 per pair.

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

You don't want to damage the driveway spinning tires with chains. Put weight in the bed. Don't let the snow get to deep.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

As the other guys mentioned add more ballast and service the property more often.
    If you need to run chains just put a set on the outside dual and don't run them up front. You probably don't have the wheel well clearance needed and you can tear up a frontend pretty quick. For more frontend traction just raise the plow a little to put weight on the front tires.
    I use V-Bar Cam lock chains when needed which is typically for mud not snow.

6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

You can also search here on the site. Countless hours of reading on the subject of tire chains.

BUFF and FredG like this.
  7. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Pull the outside tire off both sides so you decrease the contact patch and increase the psi on the smaller patch. This is why tall skinny tires do much better in most conditions for snow. If you still want to keep it a dully, just toss iron on the outside tire in the rear, fast and easy to do.

FredG likes this.
  8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i would think the nature of a duelly would require a high amount of ballast as mentioned....thinking in the 1500 to 2000 # range