1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with this Commercial Lot

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by webbytech, Mar 28, 2013.

1. webbytech

webbytech Junior Member

Heres the story. This is the bank I bank at and they have someone else do it.

We got a 17" snow this last week and the other company came through and made 1 pass through the lot (did not clear any parking stalls, sidewalks or drive throughs). Bank manager called in a panic and I went over and cleared it so they could open for business but now they want to know what I would charge to do it all the time.

at 17" snow it took roughly an hour to clear it to the asphalt. Sidewalk is wide enough that I can back drag it.

What would you charge for just straight plowing, no salting?

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Need to know what the specs of the contract are? trigger? no tolerance? (probably not with no salt but you get the idea)
    also whats your hourly rate? everything gets based off your hourly rate......
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is this a national bank? If so ,how is the manger agreeing to this? I would call him and ask who is the property manger for these banks first.
    6k for the season.
  4. webbytech

webbytech Junior Member

Its a locally owned bank, not a national.

As far as my hourly, ive never done anything but residential and get $25-$50 for driveways depending on length.

This is the first Ive ever been asked to do. They have 2 locations but this is the one that needs a bid right now.

I was thinking $200-$250/push? They want it triggered at 1-2". I can say that this week is the first major snowfall we've had in 2 years so I dont think they'd go for a seasonal deal
  5. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

If it took you an hour with 17 inches you know that one hour would be a fair bid time. I would bid it at 125.00. Of course I wouldnt take it without salt at my discretion. That would be at 100.00 per time. and the trigger would be defined. Not or two inches but it would be one and anything under that would be salted. Walks would be extra.
  6. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

If plowing needs to be done during the day to keep drives open charge them hourly with travel time.
  7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

^^^^^ this guy is about dead on. $100/125 per push plus salt
  8. lucky921

lucky921 Senior Member
    from dracut

i get a lot more than that and my lot half the size and i go by the inch
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

To heck with that.... There is no money to be made with that type of pricing.

Even if he can back drag the sidewalks, they should still be cleaned with a blower or something to prevent slip and falls.

250 per push up to 5".

Another 150.00 per salt app, and that's only using bulk and not bagged material.

10. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Tell them you'll plow it for free if they give you a 40k loan for a new truck, and only charge you for 20k at 2% interest lol.
  11. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

TThere is no money to be made at 125? He just said it took him a hour at 17 inches so a normal snow maybe 45 minutes. That is well over 125.00 per hour and if that isnt good enough then I guess good luck to you on getting more. Also that lot would be at best 800 lbs of bulk salt so a hundred bucks per time puts you at over 200 a ton. Many days I bet it wouldnt take 500 lbs. That to me is fair pricing. And I did say the walks were extra.
  12. White Gardens

This is Illinois.

At 17" and one hour is pretty rare. Most of the time with that much snow you get drifting that could equate to 30' drift with 17" of snow.

We had 9" during this last storm so I'm guessing the OP was in the Springfield region during this event. What we noticed with this event was the lack of drifting due to the heavy wet snow along with the lack of wind.

And yes, wear and tear on equipment is a must. And, what if he had a couple of sidewalk guys doing a real job on those sidewalks during a 17" storm with 30" drifts.

We do lots 1/10 of the size for way more than that per square foot. The key is to not over service and not under service the property to maintain a good relationship with the customer and to do a good enough job to where a slip and fall won't occur and you loose your shirt on a claim.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  13. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

You guys will argue over anything. A simple "what would you charge" post and someone has to start their crap.
  14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

One hour at 17 inches, really?

This is a bank and they don't want salt, no 0 tolerance really?
  15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Hit submit to early

At 125, u might as well plow for the free suckers they pass out.

Who will be held responsible for slip and fall at the bank? my guess is you as the contractor.

myself personally I would walk away unless they committed to doing the right thing at a fair price.
  16. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

If you can explain to me how 125 plus in an hour with a plow truck isn't fair then please enlighten me. Around here 125 for a payloader is pushing it. That is why these threads don't work because everyone is in a different market. I guess I was bored and decided to jump in and answer. My bad.
  17. White Gardens

Because, there are more variables to this last storm than the OP is divulging.

Doubt he had 17 inches. There were some initial reports south of us that were saying those numbers, but official totals when down to 13" + or -.

About 4-6 inches of that snow melted off before it was plowed. We had nine inches and the first 3 was melting off by mid-day until the snow picked up in intensity.

There was no drifting. Even for a larger storm, it was easy to deal with compared to some of the blizzards we have received in the past with less snow.

Those sidewalks need to be dealt with using labor, not equipment. He needs to consider that in a bid.

One hour on a lot like that with 17" of snow is a fluke.

If you have only 1 truck, then what is the OP going to do about a back-up? He also needs to take that into consideration to make sure the lot is serviced properly.

If the an Operator only has 1 truck and no employees, then 125 bucks might be worth it. But if you've got a couple of employees, insurance, taxes, etc... then 125 bucks a push won't cut it.

Again, this is also Illinois, we average about 3-4 pushes a season unlike some parts of the country that average way more than that.

18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Looking at the pix and the few cars in it and being a community bank .I bet it not very busy,you could bang it out in half hr. for a during the day run through.
  19. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I would take 20 of those for 125 a push. Sidewalks not included.
  20. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Me too! I have a hard time believing it would only take an hour to do this place properly though.