1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Subing for large snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fordpower, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Fordpower

Fordpower Junior Member

I sub contract for a large company and I get paid by the hour. With this last snow we got from 28 - 30" of snow. I worked none stop for 60hrs(some small breaks to sleep) Does anyone have guys that sub for them and if so do you pay them more large snows?
    should I ask for more since this snow is very hard on the truck?
    I plow large commercial parking lots mostly. A few apartments.

And just curious on what the going rate for Subs are?
  2. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Let me be the first to welcome you to plowsite:waving:

We hire subs and pay them a flat hourly rate that we agree on before the season starts. There is no "going rate" per-se, I know of guys - or girls... - getting anywhere from $25 to $75 and up per hour. It all depends on the parties involved - how much is it worth to you / how much are you worth to them, etc. An average rate though would be $45/hr.

I personally would not be willing to pay my guys any more for heavy snowfalls than light. My feeling is that theoretically, it will take you longer to plow a 8" or 12" snowfall compared to a 2" one, and being compensated for that extra time will make up for the extra abuse, etc.

I would however be more than happy to buy a few rounds for the guys when it was all said and done and everyone was rested up.:drinkup:

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I have to agree with Todd. A good contractor is'nt going to make you plow at 8" but at a much lower amount since you should be plowing with the storm anyway. This alone will reduce stress on the truck.
  4. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

I sub, I have a brand new truck. When we get big snows, I don't beat on it to get the job done quicker, I take the extra time to take smaller bites and do the job without overloading my truck. It takes me longer to do my route than when I had an old beater, but I know that my new truck is dependable and I'll keep it that way. I had three breakdowns last season, it wasn't worth it to me or my boss for me to do the job faster if I couldn't finish.
  5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I pay my subs the same rate all the time. When I have subbed, I was paid the same rate, no matter how big the snow. My subs & I are happy with the shear volume of hours that come with the big storms, and have never expected a higher rate.
  6. Fordpower

Fordpower Junior Member

Wow you guy fast on your replys. Thanks for the info. We do plow with the storm thats why I have alot hour with one storm.
  7. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

we pay our subs hourly also. we plow with the snow as much as possible, although during the blizzard some subs and some sites got alittle backed up.

i would say our subs average 75 an hour per truck. they also have rates for labor, salting, etc.

due to the amount of days spent cleaning up after the storm we did have a "luncheon" Friday, inviting all our subs, crew leaders and laborers in for lunch to thank them for there help.

if you feel you deserve extra talk with the contractor. It was a taxing storm with everything considered.