1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with strobes in NJ!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by srl28, Feb 17, 2006.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

I have posted this question in other sites, but I still want a more straight answer. Do you need to have commercial plates or a special permit for amber strobes or rotators?:confused: :confused: I ask this because I would like to put a light on one of my trucks that doesn't have commercial plates on it. Do I need commercial plates to have an amber light on this truck in New Jersey or not:help: ? Thanks

2. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

You need to have an "Amber Light Permit" issued by the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission in Trenton. In order to get the permit, you must either have a tow truck or road service truck with commercial plates and 2 3/4 inch high lettering on the doors or a snow plowing contract with a municipality. Either way you still need commercial plated and lettering on your doors, and if you just plow you need to be contracted by a town itself. You can call the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission at 609-292-6500 if you have any more questions. Where in NJ are you located? PM me...

3. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

lights

Sheesh, NJ requires that??!!

Here in NY, every crackhead buys a red teardrop and pulls people over. Just venting...

Interesting though... Never heard or knew of somewhere that required a permit for amber...

4. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

yeah that interesting .... over here in Southeast michigan .... we just had a case last week about a middle aged guy dressed up as a cop pullin over cute chix ... just so he can ask them there (measurements) ... LOL .... but for snow plowers AMBER / CLEAR is legal to use .... and no permit required ..

5. LD4850

LD4850 Member

Permits are required in several states. Most people don't bother to find out or get them. Most police don't think it's important enough to enforce.

6. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

cops

Most don't think it's important enough?

Thats the definition or irony, Giving people tickets for 10mph over the limit while the crak dealer at the corner laughs with rocks in his pocket and a 40oz OE beer in his hand.

No, seriously now, Does anyone have an excerpt from the law?
    Is it like NY where the law states what color means what and who can have which?? NY law mentions Amber but does not require permits.

Is this a state law, a state VTL law or??

7. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

strobes

i called njmvs and they said the only way you need a permit is if you are plowing for a township.

8. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

strobes

:gunsfiring: i called njmvs and they said the only way you need a permit is if you are plowing for a township.