1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with spreader retailers in CT??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GinCT, Jan 30, 2004.

1. GinCT

GinCT Junior Member
    from CT

I am in need of a decent residential salt spreader to tailgate mount on my 98 Ram 2500. I was quoted $1000+ for a Fisher 500 locally but that seems steep compared to the Buyers I see online!

Can anyone recommend a dealer in central CT who carries the more reasonable priced lines - like Buyers? I can order from Northern for a good price, but would rather buy locally if the price is reasonable!

Thanks!

2. drafto

drafto Member

I am not form your area but I had a similar dilemma this year, I was looking for a tailgate spreader and the dealer I use, who is always by far the cheapest, couldn't come down below a $1000 for any of his spreaders, Snow-ex and Meyers. So I spent about 4 days in the yellow pages and found out that anything, besides a Buyers, is pretty much not under $1100 or so. I ended up buying a used Snowex Mini Pro 575. It holds 350#'s, works good, and I paid $725 for it. The dealer I first mentioned above sells Buyers' but he said they changed something (I don't remember right now) in their design and they are junk. Before that statement starts an onslaught of feedback, it was not my opinion, just the dealers. But he made a point to tell me that he didn't care if I bought one of his spreaders or not, but to stay away form Buyers, then he hooked me up with the guy who had the Snowex. Just my 2 cents, I have never owned a Buyers or known anyone who did, this is just what the dealer told me.

3. drafto

drafto Member

4. GinCT

GinCT Junior Member
    from CT

Thanks!

I have been calling around and it looks like I'll have to order something. Since it is just for my driveway I may give the Buyers a shot for about $500-600...

Thanks

5. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Bought a Buyers this year, so far we have ran about 4 1/2 pallets through it. It works when we turn it on, it has the adjuster in the cab and throws from 3' to 30'. So far it has done what we asked of it. Bought from Northern Tool.

6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Have a Buyers that is 2 years old. Mine has the motor exposed beneath the auger. salt and moisture get into top seal and bearing. keep seizing up. Poor design. Very happy with our snow-ex 575....Chuck

7. drafto

drafto Member

lawnmedic or Chuck - I have the same Snowex, the motor is on the bottom also, do you think the offset and the transmission like piece is what separates the Buyers and Snowex?

8. ghost

ghost Member

prices

Try Cenreral Parts Warehouse on line they got great prices