1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with spreader purchace

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by foyboy41, Feb 17, 2004.

1. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

i know it sounds to good to be true .but wait till i tell you all what i found today. there was a guy at my local plow parts supply store waiting for service just like me .and i was looking at a spreader that was on display there. he said to me if i was interested in buying one of them he had one that i could have for get this ($300.00) bucks he told me he took it in trade from a guy that owed him money and he never used it in the three years that he has had it .he also said that it was only used once or twice at the most since new..........what i need to know from all of my new friends on the board is what to look out for .from what i can tell it is a great price but i dont want to buy a peace of junk either i am not to familiar with them so any help would be great

2. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

What is the brand? What is the size of the hopper? Does it have the wiring harness? Does it have a controller?

3. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

spreader

sorry it is a western pro-flo only maybe five years old but hardly used and he said everthing was included thanks........

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Buy it you will make 300 the first time you empty it

5. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

spreader

its a tail gate spreader sorry for the lack of info i know they go for about 1200.00.........

6. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

Hey Foyboy41, what part of Central NJ you from?

7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I agree with Matt, if you have the cash, buy it. You'll make close to $300 the first time you empty it if it's a 600# hopper, and 600# doesn't go very far either.

8. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

hey you calling me a pee-wee puppy...............brick-trenton=45 minutes wasup.............

9. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

spreader

GT how far does one load in that spreader go it looks just like the one on westerns web site i guess 600 lb would be right..........

10. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Foyboy, a Friday's, Ocharlies or Applebys type of place will take 250# on a normal event, if it's ice it will take more. I've used 50# on a county driveway of 200' . I can't tell you square footage, I just guestimate from experience when I bid. Kind of like bidding on mowing jobs, I am usually within 5 minutes. You just get a feel for it.

11. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

If you don't take it Pm me the guy's phone ill take it.

12. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I just bought a used Grotec for $75.00. I had to buy a controller for $90.00. I am in the process of building a truck mount as it was mounted to a 3 point hitch on a tractor.

Sounds like a bargain at $300.00 to me.
    Good luck with it,
    Mark K

13. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

spreader

ok heres the update i just talked to the guy and he said that the controler was left on the other truck and he doesnt have the mount either.but it could be mounted on the tailgate or the reciever hitch.still a good buy anyway i think???????????anybody know prices for those parts?????????thanks JOHN.........

14. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

I just bought a new Meyer Controller for around $200.00

15. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I have one of those spreader and the controler is about $185.00 & the reciever mount is about $165.00. If you have to buy all that it is still about 1/2 price of a new one. I think it is a good deal
    Boast

16. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

MMMMM, No mount, and no controller... Sounds hot to me, I would try to check this guy out more. Why didn't this guy put it in the local paper??? Could get a lot more... I would hate to buy something and then have it taken from me by the police because it was stolen....Chuck

17. djg0770

djg0770 Junior Member

I agree with lawnmedic. Sounds warm. If he took it as a 'trade' why didn't he stipulate that he gets all the goodies that goes with it? Wouldn't you have stipulated that?

18. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

warm etc...

I was sitting in my truck at a Home Depot the other day...
    Suddenly these guys in a van come driving up...
    "Hey you need a home theater system?"
    As P.T. Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute".
    Sorry:( FoyBoy.

19. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

Sounds Hot to me . Buy at your own Risk!!

Steve

20. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

ok for all of you who think it is stolen. i would never deal with someone like that. i have had things stollen from my truck in the past and would not ever support that type of scum that is in every town where ever you go .there is allways some desperate low life just looking to rob someone.and i have allways thought that it was even more of a crime to steal someones tools that they use to feed there family.that said the guy who has this for sale has a store front on a major highway has been there for years and as far as i can tell is reputable. you know name on the trucks sign out front and he seems to be a nice guy.i can also check the numbers out with some friends of mine who are state troopers prior to any purchase. i would never knowingly buy anything hot my feeling is you are just feeding the fire .if that scum-bag is able to sell that stollen tool fast for some cash he is going to do it again .and the next time it might be you he rips-off but thanks for your concern...................JOHN..............