1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with spreader auger.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JustJeff, Jan 5, 2015.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Loaded up the spreader this morning, salted the first sight and then the auger got jammed. The spreader is damn near full. Can anybody give me an idea on how to get it freed up without emptying the entire thing with a shovel? There is no way in hell I'm going to shovel it out at the moment when I just put in 20 hours, its 0 minus the wind chill, and have to get some sleep before tonight's snow. I pulled the spinner off and broke the stuff at the very tail end of the auger loose, but apparently that's not enough.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You can try the windshield washer fluid trick

3. JustJeff

Don't know that one dieselss. Please explain.

4. dieselss

If the Salt is frozen, you can dump washer fluid in the hopper
    Ask Russ, from the weather thread

5. JustJeff

Thanks a lot! I've never heard of that before, it's my first year salting. I'll pour five gallons in there if I have to! Although I don't know how it could be frozen, it came out of a large, covered storage bin. When I knocked the little bit out at the tail end of the auger it felt more compressed than frozen. But I'm willing to try anything at this point, as long as I don't have to freeze my ass off shoveling it out.

6. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Theres a nut on the end of the auger that u can put a wrench on and move it back and forth . Try rotating many times one way and then the other . Windshield wiper fluid can be poured over the salt and it helps break it up . The more the better might wait a couples mins but dont let it sit more than an hour after pouring the fluid on there . Will freeze up again and be even worse. Breaker bar . try loosing up around the the rear baffle opening first . Might help . Yes the salt gets compacted in there if u leave it in there while plowing awhile. Use vibrator all the time . Good luck

7. JustJeff

Thanks Showmestaterida. I'll try all of those remedies as well. One of them's gotta work. Or at least I hope so!

8. JBR Maintenance

JBR Maintenance Junior Member

Clogged auger Salt Dogg spreader

I just had the same problem, you can try using a 1 1/4" wrench on the auger, you have to remove the spinner to get access to it. If you keep trying to use the control to free it you will blow the internal 40 amp fuse inside the controller.

9. forkicks

forkicks Member

I have the same problem with anti skid material depending on the amount of mud that I get mixed in from the quarry. It gets to be a nightmare when it gets anywhere near the single digits or below. The only thing that you can do is try rocking the auger until it frees but do not put too much presure on it because you will snap something. What will work best is catching it as soon as it jams and try and free it right away. Once it's been in there awhile than you need to either shovel or thaw it out. What will works good but would only work at home unless you have a power source on location is a small torpedo heater with a tarp draped over the back of your spreader covering the whole back of the bed as well. Sit it on something facing into the bed and wait. Becareful not to melt anything. Withinn 20 minutes or so it should start freeing up. This works good in a garage but certainly can be done outside. Good luck.

10. hatchmastr

hatchmastr Senior Member
    from 516

The only way to free it up is to shovel out the back half of spreader it happened to me on tuesday . Shovel and breaker bar. After 10 min of shoveling you wont feel the cold.

11. JustJeff

Paid the neighbor kid 50.00 to shovel it out. He's almost done now. Fifty bucks well spent! Should be okay after he's done.

12. dieselss

Or anything else really. But been there a time or two.