1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with some questions?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RN Lawncare, Nov 20, 2011.

1. RN Lawncare

RN Lawncare Member

Hey guys, long story short i've been cutting grass and blowing snow for awhile now, since i have my license now i want to invest in a plow truck and start a little company. what kind of insurance would i need? if i just did driveways? should i get a business license? keep in mind i'm only 16.
    ALSO, i found a truck for sale local. guys bottom line is $3000. it's a 97 f150, 4x4 with a western plow on it. runs and drives good, 4wd works, plow works. a little bit of rust, small crack in the windshield, needs a filler neck. has new tires on it, you think it's worth it? good deal or to much?
    thanks guys

2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Good for you to be ambitious. Educate yourself by reading around this site. Talk with your parents they can help guide you on you endeavors

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That is how I started plowing at 16, but I already had snow customers from snowblowing. My dad put the truck registration and insurance under his name, but it was really my truck and business. I was covered as a driver and the insurance was much cheaper. I'd look into that. This was in 1996. I bought a 10 year old F250 with plow for $3500 cash out of my savings.

4. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Depends what your area requires. Up here in Winnipeg, doing lawn care/ snow clearing does not require a business license. Business Insurance is a must to cover your ass just in case an accident occurs on a clients property.

Remember the used truck was used for plowing. How good is the transmission, transfer case, suspension, brakes, etc. All could be COSTLY repairs and long down time if truck breaks during a storm. Do you have back up if this occurs to keep clients covered?

I started with a reliable truck before thinking of jumping of the deep end. Remember, once your name goes to ****, clients dont resign you and word spreads. Good Luck in your future..

5. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Like Weenuk stated.. The repairs will hit you hard. And you will not have the ability to know what and when something will break. Most likely while your working and punishing the truck.

I strongly do not recommend that you buy a F-150. Those trucks are not made for plowing. A 250/2500 is where you want to be. I hear guys saying that their 150/1500 is great for plowing simple/small driveways. I disagree, but whatever. The thing you have to think about is did the previous owner just do driveways or long/big parking lots? Most likely the tranny is shot and will need replaced soon. Stay away from 150/1500 and Jeeps. If a guy is selling, it is for a reason. Also for your bankroll do not buy a dump truck. They are great, but you will only be able to afford a Sh*ty one. Dump parts/labor can be double that of a pickup.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't worry about the truck,you need insurance and I doubt you'll get be yourself.

7. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

My old boss had a 2yr old (both yrs truck was used for lawn maintenance) 2006 F150 and the transmission went during the 1st winter of plowing. Lucky for him, he had another truck, F250....