1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with snowex sp8000

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by G-rott, Nov 28, 2008.

1. G-rott

G-rott Junior Member

I bought a used snowex sp8000, no documentation, tech support is closed down for the holiday and I can't carry salt in the thing, It just pours through. What am I missing? Did parts get scavenged off this thing before I got it or what?

I was going to get this weekends salt picked up today but I don't want to loose the whole load while I'm driving around.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

there should be a baffold plate covering the auger to keep it from spilling , buti know alot of guys that remove them so they get a better flow, you are talking about rock salt right? bulk- ? many bagged products are so fine that they will easily flow out on there own
  3. G-rott

G-rott Junior Member

Thanks Elire1,

There is an angle over part of the auger, not the whole thing. It is bagged salt, Halite, and it's about as coarse as I could find in a bag. I'll check on bulk for "texture". I just got it wired up so I wanted to check it out before putting a ton of salt in it.

Thanks again for the quick response. If anyone has a manual they can scan it would be a huge help. I don't know if the baffle is complete or not.

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

your looking at the inverted V under that there should be 2 baffles. there should be 3 1/4 inch bolt holes about 2-3 inches above the auger
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You probably have a sand baffle in place. To use it with dry bagged material just shove a plug up the chute until you need it.
  6. G-rott

G-rott Junior Member

Thanks guys,

The saga continues...stripped spinner gear and two broken bolts on spinner shaft. Any parts source for the gears, brass or otherwise. Also a scan of the manual would be a great help.

What's up with the gear lube "paste" in this thing...Its thick at 40 deg. I bet it turns to a solid at 10 below.

Thanks for any help.