1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with snowblower........

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by alteeter, Dec 28, 2009.

1. alteeter

alteeter Junior Member

Hey everybody, i am hoping someone can help me out w/ an issue i'm having with my 2008 yard machines 2 stage thrower......this is only the second season with it, I take care of 5 strip malls and a couple of residential sidewalk accts. the problem i'm having is that the left skid is wearing out way quicker than the right skid.....I have replaced the left one 4 times now and only once on the right side....I check the tire pressure and keep them even at approx 15 psi. today I noticed on an even surface, the left side is clearing all the way to pavement but on the right side I can see that the skid isnt even touching the ground?????? I've heard that the entire auger housing can sometimes be "cocked/tweaked" to one side or the other, and I think thats the issue. Is this an easy fix or should I try to get it back to (BFE wherever they fix these things NOT AT HOME DEPOT) while its still under warranty.....only prob. is i'm sure they will take forever getting it back to me.........
    anybody have this issue?????
    thanks to all for your time,

"pennies from heaven"

2. briggsguy17

briggsguy17 Member
    from NW PA

There is a cutting edge bolted to the housing, make sure it is not wearing unevenly. I have been in the power equipment business for many years and MTD's almost always wear out the left skid faster than the right, don't know why. I usually get thicker skids, they last much longer. The stock MTD skids are way too thin to start with. Measure the distance between the slots in your skids and get some that are thicker and can be flipped over when one side wears out. I doubt that MTD will honor the warranty since you are using it commercially, usually commercial warranty is 90 days or none at all. Look for skids like this:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...kid+shoes&cid=11266335848852366123&sa=title#p

3. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

hey alteeter how big are the 5 strip malls that you snow blow