1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with snowblower winch (stuck in up position)

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by seekay, Feb 9, 2015.

1. seekay

seekay Member
    from Maine

Hello,

Hoping some of the electrical/wiring experts on here (I know you're out there) can help me with this problem. My IQ on this type of thing is pretty low.

We hadn't been using our Bercomac snowblower/tractor this year as the neighbor has plowed instead. Now with record snow I needed to get it going and cut back some banks.

I think I spooled the winch cable on wrong. When I first had the blower all attached, I hit the up switch and at first the winch just turned for a while and then suddenly the blower went all the the way up -- and now it is stuck in up.

When I hit down, nothing happens. If I hit up, it makes a little electronic sound but nothing happens, winch won't turn.

THis is a brand-new winch put on at the end of last season. It has been stored in a warm place.

The blower is nearly useless because it leaves too much snow and the tractor gets stuck. I need to get this thing down.

Any ideas short of taking off the winch entirely and trying a fresh install?

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I know nothing about winches, so I'll take a stab at it.....don't winches have some sort of relwase that lets you unspool them?

Maybe google the winch model to see if a manual pops up that tells you how to release it.

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Try reversing wires on winch, may have a bad/incorrectly wired control. This will make up now down. Most of the winches I have seen for this kind of use are power up and down.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Can you reverse the wires on the winch to get it to go down so you can unspool it?

5. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like the cable did not spool correctly and it binded the winch I would release the winch clutch and pull the cable out.

6. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

yep-
    sounds like you are right. i bet too much cable is on one side and bound up. most of the time things work better w/less cable than what they give you. you may have to unlock the free spool and yank the crap out of it.
    op- post picts.

7. seekay

seekay Member
    from Maine

Stuck snowblower winch - updated with pix/videos

Hello,

Here are a couple of short Youtube videos I made of the winch and related wiring. Would love to find out that a fix could be as easy as reversing the wiring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWENhJqC_kA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgAtLTYv9d4

There is no way for this clutch to freewheel or manually release that I can find, unfortunately.

Thanks so much for the replies so far, hopefully these vids shed some light on my situation.

8. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

What's the make and model# of said winch?
    Do you have the wiring going wright to the battery? Or do you have a solenoid?
    If you have the wiring going to a solenoid. Try a new one. Does the winch make any sounds or movement?
    Or try a new switch. That could be bad as well.

9. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

You said that when you hit down it does nothing, but when you hit up it makes noise. This leads me to think that it's not getting power to the down circuit. It could be in your switch or the solenoid unit. First thing is you don't want to keep trying to go up, the more you do the more it's gonna jam and the higher the chance of burning up the motor.

Unhook the wires at the solenoid that got to the winch motor. Now use a test light and check both circuits at the solenoid to see if you have power in both directions. If you do the problem is at the winch.
    If not then check the switch on the dash to see if you have power in both directions. If you don't have power in both directions at the switch then the switch is bad.
    If you have power in both directions at the switch but not the solenoid then the solenoid is bad.

BUT BUT BUT,

look at all the wires very close to make sure you don't have a broken wire before just replace the switch or solenoid.

10. mike1969

mike1969 Junior Member

I have a very similar problem. Cable breaks sometimes but now even worse the winch will lift the snowblower but will not lower it so the snow blower stays stuck in the up position. I have a feeling that because the contacts where the positive and negative wires connect to the end of the winch motor ... they are touching on the steel mounting plate when the blower is raised in the UP position. The winch seems to work fine in both directions when i remove the motor from the mounting plate...

11. mike1969

mike1969 Junior Member

It's definately not the solenoid and the wires are not reversed since it works perfectly until the winch raises the blower a certain heigth .. If it were the solenoid or the wires were reversed it would not work when it's removed from the snow blower so either the contacts are touching on the metal mounting plate when it is raised or the cable is jamming

12. Wade424

Wade424 Junior Member

Maybe a switch limiter isn't or is tripped?