1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with SnoWay MT plow.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Crockett27, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Crockett27

Crockett27 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I have a problem with the motor not shutting off. No matter if I lower, raise, angle, motor continues to run. If I drop plow, motor will sometimes shut off, Burned up a motor, just install new unit and solenoid. Cleaned all connections and all new main harness on truck and plow. New controller and module. Only harness not changed is on the pump w/DP. Any ideas?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Main Harness??? you mean power harnesses?

The issue has to be in your wiring or the 12 volt motor solenoid. remove the two wires )red w/black stripe and Brown from the small terminals one should be hot, the other a ground. if that is correct reattach JUST the power wire and use a jumper to ground the unit. The motor should run, remove ground it should stop. if it doesn't you have another bad solenoid. If it stops inspect the brown wire for shorting.

The unit is ground side activated so a pinch, or bare spot in the brown wire shorting to ground will cause the motor to run continuously.

3. Crockett27

Crockett27 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Correct, power harness. The brown wire did have a bare spot at the small terminal. Cut that off and replaced with new contact. I'm on my 3rd solenoid, 2 Snoway, 1 HD from Napa. I bought 2 for a backup. Got same results with both. I'll test the brown wire ground. I have a feeling the problem is with the plug with one or more of the pins.

Thank you, David.

4. Crockett27

Crockett27 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Checking the brown wire did shut motor down..I was able to push pin out and it looked and smelled little burned. That harness is part # 96105130, seems to have been replaced by part # 96108247. Ordered new harness. I could fix this one but, would rather not chase more electrical problems. Entire harness will now be all new. Thank you very much.

5. Crockett27

Crockett27 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Got new harness 96108247 and installed tonight....Same problem, once remote it turned on, motor runs continuously. Pulled brown wire off small terminal, motor stops. Used SnoWay solenoid and HD Napa solenoid, same results. All functions work with controller, LF, RT, RAISE, LOWER, DP. Motor will not shut off. New control, new module, new harness from weather pak to coils, new power harness. I'm out of ideas.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What new control and module did you install?

7. Crockett27

Crockett27 Junior Member
    from Indiana

The module that was on plow is pt# 96105084. It has been replaced by PT# 96105083. I put old module back in it and same results. Controller is old style grey hand held. Power button lights up green when on. Has DP button lights red when on. Everything is new. Only parts not replace are the red coils.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Either the brown wire is corrupted somewhere or you have two bad modules.

9. Crockett27

Crockett27 Junior Member
    from Indiana

This problem started with the new module on. The old module was replaced while chasing another problem that ended up being a dealer mistake. I bought new module and really didn't need it. However, problem consist with both. Brown wire and harness to goes to all the coils and plugs into the mod is new. I'm beginning to think it could be the controller.

10. Crockett27

Crockett27 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Narrowed it down to the module. Seems to be giving signal to motor without giving a command to move plow. Picking up new module and controller Monday. Hope that's the problem. due to the dealer hooking up wrong power harness, it reversed the polarity and may have cooked the module.

11. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Now that is a bummer! Hope everything is good once you change your controller again.

12. Crockett27

Crockett27 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I hope so. Had to use a garden tractor with a plow to finish last 2 driveways. Dealer discounted new unit by 50%. Wouldn't consider full responsibility. I'll take that and be happy. I'm really glad I found this site. Big Help. Thank you.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If they back feed the receiver then yes I would call that the issue.

14. Crockett27

Crockett27 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Picked up new module and controller Monday. Got it installed and wired. Ran controller harness into the cab last night. Pro II set up...Wow, what a difference. 96114031. Back up and running, now I NEED SNOW TO PAY FOR ALL THIS...!!! Hope I don't break a hip doing a snow dance.