1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with sidewalk equipment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Unraveller, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Unraveller

Unraveller Junior Member

We do a lot of sidewalks and plazas, and I'm looking for suggestions for equipment.

Main problem is our City plows. They drive 60 and completely cover the sidewalks, so we need some equipment capable of dealing with 16" of that garbage.

Here's a picture of the sidewalk, and a picture of one of the sidewalk/patios and one of the plazas, it's very large.

Should we be looking at an ATV and blade? Tractor with blower? Skid steers and such are a little out of the budget right now....

Any suggestions between 2,000 & 6,000 would be appreciated...

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You need a skid steer on those kinds of areas, even that sidewalk looks wide enough for a smaller skid. About 5 yrs ago I sold a Bobcat 743B skid steer with a 6' snow bucket and 2 other buckets for $7000. It had 1500 hrs on it and a cab with heat. It was perfect for areas like you show. Start looking for skids, the prices will be even lower if it doesn't have a cab. You can always bundle up and save some money. Anyway for under $10k you should be able to find a good machine.
  3. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

Skid would be great for the building's walk but looks too big for the city walks. 16" is a lot to push with a blade on an ATV also. Tractor and blower may be best bet. If it really does get 16" before you get a chance to hit it, maybe even a dingo? They are slow as hell, but with a blower and tractor you won't be moving too fast anyway. I've heard many great things about the ventrac (may have spell that wrong). I personally have never used one, or even priced it out. I'm sure it's priced well above your budget (I know it's above mine without even looking), but they have tons of different attachments for both winter and summer, might be worth checking out.
  4. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Forget an Atv
    A commerical snow blower might be good but you need to do it before it freezes
    If it freezes then you are sol
    Small skid is best but are $$$
  5. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

I used Steiner or Ventrac with a blade for the light stuff and a blower to go back and do the garbage that the city throws in. Steiner and Blade you should be able to get for $4000-5000, leaving you some room for a blower purchase.

or if you need a sub, we do a couple properties right down the street, haha.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  6. f150skidoo

f150skidoo Member

I would be looking for a 25hp 4wd diesel sub compact tractor with a 4.5' blade on the front.
  7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

How wide are the sidewalks, and what's your budget?
  8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Read the first post and look at the pictures...