1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with residential pricing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by corraldevl, Nov 14, 2006.

1. corraldevl

corraldevl Junior Member

Tomorrow I will have a new 8' Fisher plow installed on my 04 Ford F-250. I live on the Massachusetts coast just a few miles from the New Hampshire boarder. Can anyone help me with a pricing plan, from reading many posts the last thing I want to do is low ball other established contractors in my location. New to the business all I want to do is start with a handful of residential clients in order to learn the art of plowing.

Any help would be great

Thanks

2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

where

where are you located, let me know i can help you......

3. corraldevl

corraldevl Junior Member

Hi Mike,

I am located in Newburyport Massachusetts. I will be purchasing my tomorrow at Langs Cornor Garage

4. corraldevl

corraldevl Junior Member

Hi Mike I am in Newburyport Ma.

5. corraldevl

corraldevl Junior Member

Driveway quoting

Mike,

To get started I am looking to plow a few drive ways. I have six people that would like my services. I am leaning towards charging by the push. Is $25 to $30 a fair price for an avarage two car driveway? Also I do not know at what depth to set, every 4" ect.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks,

Chris

6. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

hey

hey
    langs is awsome and fast, thats where i got mine about 3 weeks ago. down here in danvers 30 - 40 is average, ive been breaking it down like this 1-6 = the agreed price, 6-12 = price + 10, and 12 and beyond = +20. and then obviously charge 1/2 price per return visit.

7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I don't live in your area but this is how I do my residentials...

< 2" no service unless specifically requested
    > 2" up to and including 6" ----------- 1x the base charge
    > 6" up to 12" ---------------- 2x the base charge

extreme snowfalls, > 12" get 3x the base charge

I like this wording because I don't have to make 2 visits to get the 2x charge.....if we get 8" I can go once and make double on one visit.... I offer salting for an additional fixed charge for a standard driveway......

Don't short change yourself.......the second trip is worth the same as the first!!!

D

8. brianslawncare

brianslawncare Junior Member

quote;

i live in pa and started last year. i charged 35to 40 dollars for a one to two car driveway.and went back every 3to4 inches.or you can call a local plow guy and ask for a price on youre driveway or a friends.

9. corraldevl

corraldevl Junior Member

Hi Mike

Thanks for your help, now lets pray for some snow!!

Chris

10. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

no prob

hey no problem, i figure its the best we can do, help each other out to make sure we are all on the same page. let me know if you ever need help or want to meet up some time to shoot the shiiittt.

11. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

i like this method but my question is, do you wait until it STOPS snowing before you go out and plow? or do you hit the road the second it hits 2 inch trigger?

12. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

For a driveway my method has been to wait til it stops snowing in most cases. Unless you are getting a big storm, then I try to make sure they can get out in the morning, and back in at night. No sense plowing 2", then going back to do another 2". Just my opinion. Unless the customer wants it that way of couse.....

13. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

as stated I agree...... I have honestly tried to weed out the resi's that have time requirements....because my commercial work often has to be interrupted to hit the driveway that "needs" to be done by 6am no matter what......

Typically I am able to be finished with commercial work by 8 am then I will run my residential route.....

14. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

so you wait until the snow stops, and you charge by how many total inches there are?

15. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

This post is 2 years old. I think he either got it figured out and is making money, or he didn't and has moved on.

My advice to you would be to plow atleast every 24 hours if your trigger has been met. Wake up in the a.m. and there is 2", go out and plow & charge the customer for it. If it snows more during the day, then either go out that same night or go out in the morning. Depends on what the customer wants.

As I have stated before for residential driveways. 99% of all plow trucks can handle 99% of the snow that falls in 99% of the driveways. No need for a per inch pricing format.

16. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

so what, you just work out an agreement with the customer?
    But the more snow = tougher on plow/truck.....why wouldnt i price by inch?
    i'm trying to make money but at the same time keep my customers happy, but you think i should just plow when they want it plowed, even if that means let their driveway build up snow all day long exept the exact time they want it cleared? doesnt that risk it packing down into solid snow or ice?

17. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

or are you just saying to do a "per push" method, and i'm overlooking what you are saying?
    Im so fckign lost as to how to charge my residentials this year, its sick. i cant make up my mind.

18. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Per push is how is it done here on the westside. If it starts snowing at lets say 2am. I will go out and start pushing some of my condos on edgewater rd. go and then hit the resis in lakewood and finish off the rest of my commercials by 10 am when the last one opens. Lets say it keeps snowing this whole time and another two inches is on the ground. I will wait till mid afternoon and go and push the resis again before they get home from work. During this time I keep up with my commercial accounts so there lanes are open and then clean them up in the middle of the night when all the crazies:dizzy: went to bed and are off the road. My whole route takes me about 7 hours to complete. So then every time I am there that is a push and lets say it is $30 per push X 2 =$60.00. It is fair. No having to measure to see how much snow there is and every one is happy. All of my customers are happy with this method and I have never had a question about billing. Good luck. have you picked up any accounts yet for this year. Your jeep would do really well here in lakewood with these small drives....

19. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

But surely you have a trigger right? like 2 in? and if you go out and plow every 2 inches, and we get 4 inches, dont the customers get pissed that you charged them $60 instead of just plowing once at 4 inches? or am i circling myself around a per inch price method?
    I have a few accounts, but i'll be puttin up the fliers and stuff here in the next week, i'm not doubting that i'll rack up a decent number of clients pretty quick. My only beef with the lakewood drives is so many of them are cracked up and busted and i dont want to tear my plow up the first winter i have it. You have problems with lakewood drives?

20. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

and its snowing and i plow at 2 in, but it keeps coming down and overall we end up with 8 inches of snow on the ground, which means id have plowed 4 times, do i charge $35 x 4???? wouldnt that be insane and everyone would tell me to get lost? $140 for 8 inches of snow sounds stupid.