1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with private road bid...2200ft

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Raymond S., Nov 5, 2009.

1. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I got a call from the one lonely house in a new subdivision in town. They said the County stops at the end, not responsible for their road. Anyway, there is a widened entrance along with 2200ft. of road back to their house and to the corner. I have an 8' Fisher that I will be plowing with. I do a couple other private roads that are similiar but not as wide as a standard county road like this and w/ a smaller entrance. Both other roads are about the same length or a tad shorter and I get $55 for both of those. I am in/out in about 25 minutes each, including clearing the front and down/back, down/back. I'm thinking I will have a bit more time on this as I can't stack the snow in the front so I'll have to push it all in, then start down/back. (there is entrance landscaping I have to push around.) One plus to this is it's literally 1/4 mile from one of the private roads I do, so I'm already there.

My initial thought is $75 per push. For the most part we don't mess around with 1-3", 3-6", etc., it's just per push. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
    Besides my other two private roads/lanes, I stick to mostly residential drives. I'm comfortable with the $75 but I just want to bounce it off you guys to make sure I'm in the ballpark. I'm thinking I may be a bit high?...
  2. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

75.00 for 2200 ft

In our neck of the woods that would run double at least...

3. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

I agree... I plowed a private road last year right around the same length, same situation as you. The town would mound up snow all at the entrance, it had 3 houses and ended in a couldesac(sp?) stacking snow was super easy as I had more then enough space. I was in and out in about 15-20min and they were very happy paying $200 per push, was also getting another nice chunk of change for salting.
  4. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Thanks for the replies fellas. I guess it's a case where the price is what the customer is willing to pay, not relative to cost. I usually bid myself at $85/hr. How did you come up with $200 other than it just "looks" like a big job so you think they'll bite. My concern is I bid $150 and some yahoo comes through and sees it's only a 20 minute job and throws a $50 bid at them.
  5. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

If the county hasn't taken it over, does it have to be the full width of the road? It's only one house. I would think as long as emergency vehicles can get in it would be O.K. to plow it the same as your other similar driveways. 1 up 1 down. Easy Peasy Beautiful. If it's alright with the county and the customer that is.
  6. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

That's what I'm talking to her about. I am not going to worry about the whole road, just treating it like a long driveway. This is their first winter there and they are in no way prepared to spend $150 / push. I told her I'd look at blowing it open, down/back and a turnaround.