1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with pricing comm'l. lot

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by snowgetter, Jan 16, 2016.

1. snowgetter

snowgetter Junior Member

hows it going. looking to see how this sounds for a lot about 1 acre of pavement in MA. around 100 parking spots. will have to go back once cars clear out.
    0-4 450, 5-7 600, 7-10 750, 10-12 900
    And 400 for deicing main areas--tailgate spreader.
    will use 3500 pickup. Dont want to miss the chance but need to make sure I make $..expenses/insurance estimates arent cheap. will have a better handle once I do it to know time, # bags. thanks for the help.

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Hard to say since we dont know what area your in, or a pic of lot, a lot thats an acre with islands, cars, corners ect will take longer then a square open lot so tough to say if thats a fair price. Your doing it for more then beer $ so thats good :) give us some info or a screen shot of place.

3. BC Handyman

Oh & also Welcome to the forum:waving:

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

What happened to the previous contractor, kind of late in the season to be bidding work.

5. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

What about snow falls in between those numbers? Eg. 4.1-4.9.

6. snowgetter

snowgetter Junior Member

thanks, in Ma, will see if i can get an image.

good point
    0-4 450, 4+ to 7 600, 7+-10 750, 10+ to 12 900, over 12 100/inch?

this is a who you know deal, right person knows me well, and right place at right time. i sense they want a very good deal but I won't do it unless i can make a lot more than just beer money no matter how good they know me.
    i found a sample contract and got good info. on this site to change it a little over last couple weeks so thoght i'd join up and see if this any comments before submitting.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  7. 1HOTCAT

1HOTCAT Junior Member

A acre of land should take on average a hour of work for snow up to 4 inches. $450 for that is damn good money here. I need to move I guess. It all depends what others are getting for plowing in that area. Here I like to get $200/250 for plowing something like that. Got to figure in travel time to and from job site. Its nice to see gas prices going down, two years ago I would spend $20 a hour for each truck, nice I can cut that in half. Figure out all your cost and then what you need to make as a profit after these cost. Good luck with it.

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I have a 1acre lot that's wide open and no curbs. With a 8.2V with wings I clear it in 20min up to 4"<> and paid $165.00 for 1-4".
    There's no way you can get $450 for a 1 acre lot with 0-4" on it oot west.

9. snowgetter

snowgetter Junior Member

thanks, hope it dont scare them away....be sure to check cost of livin prices here before you make that move!
    at the prices i have listed and cost to start this, im guessin always someone who'd do it for lower but at that price and this late in year, i'm thinking lower amt of insurance. does anyone have minimum insurance or 300-500k, or go for the 1 mill. next year if i get more accts, may be able to adjust, will have more data too. Pats are up!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  10. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think you could get that here for up to 4 inches. I'm small time plowing and have 2 million.

11. 1HOTCAT

1HOTCAT Junior Member

I think I can afford the location. Just send me the location of trailer parks so I can get the 1975 40' single wide put into its new home. Got some nice new spinners put on it today

12. shawn_

shawn_ Member

Prices look good...

13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

That pricing seems about right for around here. We may be able to charge almost double compared to areas west but we also get a fraction of the yearly snowfall

14. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Give them the price and go from there. If you want the lot then wiggle your price a little if needed.

15. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Lower other costs if you can before lowering insurance. Doing snow I wouldn't want to have anything less than 1 million, probably want 2 mil.

16. snowgetter

snowgetter Junior Member

nice touch with the spinners! thanks for the reco. for insurance. is the plow guy off the hook for slip and fall if they tell me where to put snow, i cannot guarantee clear pavement and not doing walkways or stairs. does that make sense?

the bid amts are to make sure i cover returning to clear parking. willing to adjust some for 1 trip back or maybe on the reaction, but dont want to shortchange if need for another time to clear spots. will discuss and see how that goes. if they want deice after plow may lower that price if already onsite and depends on if salt or calc. chlor. thanks.

17. BC Handyman

Again not sure where you are but for service with a return trip to clean lot that price seems ok. Just put this into contract if your worried.
    Customer understands and accepts that service of particular locations, depressed areas & areas packed down by vehicle or foot traffic, may not be cleared to ‘bare pavement’. Slippery conditions may continue to prevail even after service. (Your name) can provide salting & sanding at an additional charge to minimize slippery conditions.

18. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Sorry 1 acre doesn't go for 200/250 in det.

Numbers might be right in the op area, insurance is over 100k on the east coast.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  19. 1HOTCAT

1HOTCAT Junior Member

So what do you get in the Detroit area for a acre of a parking lot

20. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

150 tops. I've seen guys plow 2 acres for 100.