1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with pricing commercial sidewalks (pictures)

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Itsdoubletime, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Itsdoubletime

Itsdoubletime Member

i am bidding on a few commercial lots rate will be seasonal contract one of them is just sidewalks just looking for an opinion on pricing no salt just blow sidewalks probably going to take me 3 passes with a blower in front of the building and one maybe two pass on the side alleyways . the front of the building starts where i am taking the picture and ends at the black gate

for salt i charge .20 cents a pound and a apl;ication fee for this property of 25usd

alley1t.jpg

alley2t.jpg

front1.jpg

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The problem is when the plows come by and dump all the snow on the walks.

3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Where are you supposed to put the snow? Do you have to haul it away after a large storm?

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Exactly, you need to figure out hauling that crud out of there.

I say, get a mini-skid with a blower attachment and a bucket to load a truck to get it out of there.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I wouldn't put salt on a walk or the paver walk I would figure in Icemelt

6. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree. No more than its gonna take I would figure using a premium ice melter.

7. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Our "downtown jobs" we push towards the curb and then make cuts through the snowbanks for pedestrian traffic.

8. Itsdoubletime

Itsdoubletime Member

I priced it today at 1200 for the season not including salt and yes the snow will be pushed towards the curb and cuts made for walkway they did not want a price on removal they gave specific instruction where to push just didn't want to come in to low for my bid

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Your post is kind of confusing for reasons I outlined in red above.

Not sure where in NY you are but by the end of the year I believe you will wish you had tripled that price at the very least. Sometimes a small job is to big to bid on.

10. Itsdoubletime

Itsdoubletime Member

Tripled what price the salting price or the 1200 I quoted . You think 1200 was to low ? I thought that was in the high end

11. Itsdoubletime

Itsdoubletime Member

They want salt but I was just looking to see if anyone had a ballpark on just the job without salt . At the salt price I'm making 7 bucks on each bag I use plus the application fee every time I have to salt .. Mayb I should have upped the price a bit on salting I guess

12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You should come up with one price per ap for salting. Never charge by the pound. Figure what it will cost T&M for you and double that. $7 mark up on a bag of salt is wayyy low.

You are taking all the risk of slip n falls for a very low price and what will end up being a lot of work.
    Again not sure where in NY you are ,but in Buffalo you would be the low baller extraordinarie at that price.

13. Itsdoubletime

Itsdoubletime Member

Thanks for the advice I guess you live and learn I'll have to adjust my price a bit next time I've been plowing for a while just never took on commercial accounts so estimating salting is new to me any other info would be appreciated def not in this business to low ball I'm here to make money thanks again for the input

14. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I want to know where all the snow in the alley ways is going to go. You get a big snow storm and have 12" down through there, and it will need to go somewhere.