1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with pricing a seasonal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I am quoting a few job as the sub contractor. I got the per push and per salt quotes down to a T, but i have to quote on and they want me to quote it as seasonal both plowing and salting. Its a larger parking lot, not huge but good size. It is a hotel parking lot. anyways how would i go about pricing a parking lot like this as seasonal with plowing and salting all mixed in?? any help would be great since i am a snowplowing virgin

2. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey Rich,

This is always a tough call. We were trying to do this this week too, and its not a great position to be in in my point of view. I love a mix of seasonal plowing accounts, but I hate to stick my neck out with seasonal salting.

The plowing is fairly simple, figure the average number of events, which can be estimated off the NWS 30 year averages, and multiply your per time by that number. Around here, we use around 20 as an average for a 1" client. I know some that figure as high as 24, and some wtih 18 pushes average.

The salting, should be figured for doing it every time you plow for sure, which gives you a start, and then for us, probably about 1.5 times the plowing, to cover for all the times we salt without plowing. For example, we get lots of dustings from lake effect, that can be salted away.

So, I would get at least 1.5 times the number of plows for salting.

If my plow cost was $100 per time, seasonal would be ~ $2,000.00.

If my salting was $75.00 per time, seasonal would be ~ $1875.

This will probably get me close, but I would want a multiple year contract to make sure the averages don't burn me in any given year.

3. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

thanks tom

thats really helps

4. Progrounds

Progrounds Junior Member

Rich -
    Give me a call if you'd like. You've got my cell number. I can tell you the number of times we use for plowing is thirteen in the Detroit area. Salt shouldn't be included in a seasonal contract unless it is a multi year deal - too risky for one season.