1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Pre Wet system(s)...benefits?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PerfiCut L&L, Nov 25, 2006.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Im hearing more and more people talking about pre wetting their salt prior to application. I've done a quick search here and will try again. IN the mean time, since I'm not too familiar with this concept, I'd like to find out more about it. Pros/Cons, that sort of stuff. Can this process be used with tailgait spreaders? What sort of equipment, and or chemicals are needed. Costs involved? Savings?

Whatever you can tell me about pre wetting will be a huge a help. We run mainly tailgate spreaders on all our trucks, and next season will be upgrading atleast one to a Vee Box. Meanwhile, I wanted to look into this pre wet concept. Thanks guys in advance for the info.

2. PerfiCut L&L

Disregard previous post. Found some realy good info on the web.

Only question I have now is, has anyone fabricated a system to be used with a tailgate spreader? And do you have any pictures?

I can pick up 100g poly tank for next to nothing at the local surplus yard. Install a small pump, run a hose/tube to a fabricated mount on the spready at the spinner. I should be able to put something like this together for under 200 bucks. main cost will be the pump, since Im not sure what size will be needed.

Other quetstion is. If using a brine solution, whats the freezing temperature of this solution?

Thanks agian.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I don't know of any prewet system for tailgate spreaders. They are pretty expensive and most are found on bigger highway Vboxes. Here are a couple links for information. Most of it will be from Iowa. I don't know how useful the last one will be for you, but thought I'd include it.

http://www.ctre.iastate.edu/PUBS/semisesq/session1/donahey/index.htm
    http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmj/9702/rm970202.htm
    http://www.prairiehydraulic.com/accucast/ac5000.html
    http://pubsindex.trb.org/document/view/default.asp?lbid=657315

I tried deleting based on your second post, but can't find a "delete" button.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  4. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Dont worry Mick,
    Some of us will still use the info.
    Thanks for the links. It was informative.

5. Michael M

Michael M Member

Tailgate spreaders

What brand spreaders do you run? Any problems?Thanks

6. PerfiCut L&L

Thats kewl... information is knowledge, and I dont mind getting more of it.

I'm going to fabricate a pre wet system for one of my tailgate spreaders. I figure, a tank, a pump, hose/tubing, and a spray nozzle. Nozzle mounted at the spinner, Wired into the spreader, should work. (I hope) :rolleyes:

Just need to figure out the chemical makeup, mixture ratio, and freeze temps. Once the brine is mixed whats its freezing temp, and can it be stored outdoors on the truck?

Thanks guys, Will keep you posted on the progress. Im thinking, less than 400 bucks to get this up and running.

7. hoosier

hoosier Junior Member

prewett system

One thing to consider in your planning is location of nozzle. I have gotten consistent reports from customers that spraying on the spinner is efficient up to about 15 MPH or so. Over that speed, the vortex behind the vehicle can cut your efficiency drastically.
    Proper shielding and positioning should overcome most of this.
    Your application rates will very greatly ,depending upon the product your using.
    The largest use I have seen is of salt brine that can be made on site with water tanks and PVC pipe.
    I am new here,so I am unsure what extent to go into on this forum. If you want more info. I would be glad to share what I have

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Don't be shy.

Hoosier, don't be shy. Speak up if you can add to the knowledge base. Maybe even start a new thread titled something like "Prewet Systems" that we could link to for someone who asks a related question and then link this post to it.

9. draffinc

draffinc Member

Another option is: using pre treated salt (eg: magic-0) in your spreader. You will get same if not better results because you will put the liquid pre treat materials directly on your salt and not loose as much on the vehicle and into the atmosphere..

just my 2 cents worth

10. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Don't know if you've found what you're looking for or not, but I thought I would post this link. It's been invaluable with my quest to generate salt brine.

http://www.dot.state.ia.us/maintenance/chemicals/brine/makebrine.htm

I made the 'homemade' version that they describe in this publication. I bought two stock tanks from Agway, and assorted plumbing parts and wood from a national home improvement superstore. All together, I have about 800 invested, just in the generator. Pumps, storage tanks, etc are additional.

I chose this plan since I have a very low volume water supply at the shop. We're about 1000 feet from a high pressure 18" main, however the supply line is only 5/8" so I don't have the best water pressure here. Even with my limited water supply, I'm still able to generate reliable brine.

When I first built the system, I used their concept of spraying the water from the top of the tank. I found that I the water wasn't getting enough time to break down the salt, and I was only getting about a 10% solution, far below the ideal 23.3%. It took three hours of recirculation using this method to get me to 23.3%.

I decided to modify the system and built a PVC 'H' that I buried on the bottom of the stock tank. Salt is then dumped over this and the water comes up from under the salt. When I first fire up the system, the brine comes out a little bit hot but I find that as the storage tank fills up, the output brine cools down a little and the batch equilizes to damn near 23.3%.

Iowa claims they can store their brine well below zero without any freezing issues, however they are storing very large quantities in their tanks. I don't know if this matters or not. We've dipped close to 10 degrees the last few nights and I have no sign of freezing.

I'm still very new liquids, this is the first year we are offering them. We are going to apply salt brine as pretreatment and also prewetting coming out one of the V-boxes on straight sand, sand/salt mix and straight salt. We will also treat our concrete surfaces with liquid mag that we're mixing in the hydroseeder. I haven't had the chance to apply any of these yet, but I will try to post my results this season.