1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with plow selection for 04 Ford F-150

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by A31unit, Sep 26, 2011.

1. A31unit

A31unit Junior Member

I have a 2004 Ford F-150 and am considering buying a plow. I am new to the snow plowing thing and this will be my first plow.
    The first thing I have to do is to have the 3900 FGAWR springs installed according to the dealer. The springs currently on the truck are the 3750 FGAWR which are apparently too weak to handle any plows in the half ton class or larger.

The next thing is to select a plow. I have it narrowed down to 3. These three are readily available at a dealer close to me so repair/maintenance is part of my decision.

1) Western HTS

2)Fisher HT

3)Fisher SD

My dealer seems to want to push the Western but will sell me the Fisher just the same. A friend of mine with some good expierience had plowed with Western for years but since he recently bought a Fisher. He believes the Fisher is the best.

Up to this point I have considered the Half Ton plows because I have a half ton pickup. Fisher's site indicates that the SD plow will work on my truck once I install the 3900 lb springs.

I feel that the SD plow will be a better purchase because if I sell the truck and possibly move up to a 3/4 ton in the future the SD plow will still work for me, the HT will not. On the other hand I don't wanna kill my truck with too heavy a plow.
    Fisher's website says the SD will work and recommend 800+ lbs of ballast in the back with the SD plow.
    My region only gets a few snows a year with several large storms mixed in from time to time.
    I am seeking the advice of those with experience. Please let me know if you would recommend the SD over the HT plow in my situation. Thanks
  2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i would go with the fisher ht a no a freinf that has one and loves it good luck
  3. blue sky guy

blue sky guy Junior Member

F150 help

Putting a Fisher HT on my dad's F150 Supercab with a 3750 front end. Most likely will need a suspension boost for front end...Timbrens. Found a cool add on called Sumo Springs that would do the same for less. It is for doing touch ups. My plow dealer said the 7'6 would kick ass period on this model. Getting it for 4400 with a snow deflector. Western & Fisher are owned by the same company. Fisher is a bit better for lighter work.
  4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

This is my friends setup on his 06 F-150.Fisher minute mount 2 SD

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

6. Will Do

Will Do Junior Member

I am in similar boat now trying to decide between the Fisher or the Snow Dogg for my 1999 F150. I tried to sell my 150 so I could move up to a 250, but with no bites on my truck I am preparing for this season with my F150. So which way did you go for your plow?