1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with plow problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Billz, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Billz

Billz Member

Hi, I was out today getting my plow ready for the winter, and I went to raise the plow, but it wouldn't raise. I hear a clicking sound under the hood when I push the raise button, but no movement. A friend of mine does all my truck repairs, and what he told me was that it sounded like the solenoid was bad...he told me to try putting jumper cables from the truck's battery and connecting them to the positive/negative wires where they screw into the solenoid and if it worked afterwards, then that was indeed the problem...

I did that but when I connected the second cable it started sparking, and the motor was making sounds like it was raising or lowering the blade...does that mean that it was really the solenoid? The place that does my plow work is booked until dec 1...and they are talking about maybe having snow here next week...I would like to fix this myself before then! LOL

ok, it is a boss plow, straight blade. If it is the solinoid that needs to be replaced, is there a way to take it to a shop and have it tested if I take it off? How do I get it off? LOL
    There are 2 star-head bolts on the solenoid, is that how to remove it, or do you have to remove the whole thing (pump/solenoid unit?)

Any help you guys could give me would help me alot! Thanks!
    Bill

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

When you try to raise the plow and you here the clicking sound that is the solenoid working. I think your positive and negative connections that you plug in need to be cleaned. This happened to mine on Friday. Take them apart and use a small wire brush or sandpaper and clean them real well. If this works then put dielectric grease on the connections.

3. Billz

Billz Member

the clicking is coming from inside the hood of the truck... does that make a difference?

Do you mean the connectors that plug in...from the truck to the plow? I had to replace those cables yesterday, so they are clean, I cleaned the other connectors they plug into with q-tips, and they looked clean, or what other connectors do you mean?

4. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I would check all your connections even the plug going from the truck to the plow. It sounds like a bad connection. Clean them all up. Make sure your selenoid has a clean connection to the frame.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That is where the solenoid is. The sparks were from not crossing the wires well enough. Not the best way to cross a solenoid. You just have to take the small positive screw and cross it with the large wire that goes to the battery not the plow. It is not likely the solenoid went over the summer but you have a bit of corrosion on the plug ins. Easy fix. clean these well and try it.

6. Billz

Billz Member

hehe, I was thinking the motor was the solenoid! LOL
    I will try to clean it all in the morning, and hope that fixes it...