1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with plow choice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jamesonplows, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Jamesonplows

Jamesonplows Junior Member

New to the site today. It's great to be able to get advice from some veterans of the biz. I need to by my first plow pretty quick. I think the Fisher 7.5 HD is the best choice, but I also understand that a lot of people like the Curtis Sno Pro 3000. The Fisher is about $350 more than the Curtis, but the Fisher dealer is only about 1 mile away. The Curtis dealer (actual factory) is about 12 miles away. I'm also thinking of parts accessibility. What would you guys do?

Thanks for your help.
  2. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

I'll tell ya what I think.......Buy the Fisher! You get what you pay for. If you want to save a couple of bucks go with Curtis, but really what's $350 when you're spending thousands anyway!
  3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

without trying to start a fisher/curtis war.

i would pick the fisher. I wasn't aware they made a 71/2 hd though.

i dont see how parts would be a problem for either of them in your location i just know fisher better than curtis.
  4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Knowing where parts and good service are at is important but, not the only issue. To help you out ... What truck, what type of plowing are you thinking?
  5. Jamesonplows

My truck is a 2000 Chevy 1500. This will be almost 100% driveways.
  6. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I have a fisher so thats what i would buy. can you talk the fisher dealer down $350.00 ?
  7. scottL

Go with the SnoWay plow. It's lighter weight but, will do commercial too. It has down pressure ( a fiip of the switch and the piston puts the weight of the vehicle onto the plow ). I would go with the 8' not the 7.5.

Crank the bars up a tad and add about 400 pounds ballast in the back.
  8. Jamesonplows

Thanks guys. I found a Sno Way dealer a couple of towns over and will check them out today as well. Why the 8 v the 7.5? A friend of mine who does a lot of plowing said that a 7.5 would be more maneuverable if I am doing mostly driveways. I assume that an 8' would be a better plow to transfer to a 3/4 ton truck if that ever becomes the case (it may become the case anyway because I run a landscaping biz and the weight capacity is a bit low on the 1/2 ton under some circumstances).
  9. scottL

Well the 8' doesn't sound like much difference in width but, when your plowing there is a notable difference. Not only the width but, the fact that the blade covers wider than the width of your truck so, there is less of your tires riding over what you didn't plow when going backward and when going forward you have more width while angled. The 8 covers more dirveway when back dragging too as far as being maneuverable the snoway has the best height lift, and I believe it pulls the plow to a tighter angle as well.

As a side note I ran an 8' snoway on my k3500 for 10 seasons doing residential and heavy commercial.
  10. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

what is important is the service you will get how fast can they get you in to install the plow?

one thing you want to keep in mind is if they cant get you in for a week how long is it gonna take to service your plow if it brakes down during a storm...

that is one thing we pride ourselfs in and one reason why we sell so many plows cause we can do same day service in most cases. so whatever plow you go with make sure the company is gonna be able to service your plow when needed
  11. bribrius

Make sure they have plenty of parts in stock too.
  12. bribrius

Actually, now that i re read this thread i think we are all giving you some pretty crappy advice. you seme to have pretty much the same truck i have. Its probably only booked at around 6k maybe in the going market?
    And your being told to spend 4,5,6, k on a snowplow for it? Then you change it over to another truck and throw another five hundred out the window. Make a choice. If you buy the plow just for that truck buy a used one and dont ever think of taking it off the truck it wont be worth a transfer. The truck will cost you some bucks adapting it for plowing and in high maint. if you use it regularly for plowing (i know mine does).
    It can end up a back up truck when you buy another one.

just go buy a new 3/4 ton now while they are offering deals and get a plow on it and save your self the headache instead of putting thousands into a truck that will cost you more to make it plow.
  13. Jamesonplows

All great points. I looked at the SnoWay and it seems great from what I can tell. They were going to sell me the dealer demo 29T with down pressure, wireless control, stainless mold board, deflector, and curb guards for $5,391(including 5% tax), but they do not readily stock parts and are not open during storms. The Fisher dealer, though right up the street and making a great plow, is also not open during storms. The Curtis factory a few miles away in Worcester is always open during storms with all the parts imaginable and mechanics on hand. It seems that they are all pretty good in there own ways, but since the service situation seems to be quite good and a lot of Curtis owners seem to be quite happy with their plows (like other brands, I know), I think Curtis will make the sale (on an 8ft). Thank you all again for all of your help. Expanding service offerings in my landscaping business to include plowing is an exciting (and nerve racking) thing. Now for some hard work and a horribly snowy winter.

Thanks again!