1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with opinion on pro-plus

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jsheedy75, Jan 13, 2005.

1. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

I am looking for a new plow for my ford. I have been looking at the boss and fisher. They both looked like nice heavy duty units. Then I happened to be at a western dealer with a friend and I was shocked to see how far western plows have come. I never thought to look at them because I always remembered them to be kinda lightweight. So I guess my questions would be and pros or cons about the pro plus? I like the idea of wings that were designed with the plow in mind. How do these work? good, bad?. The ultramount looks like a good setup with the way the plow can twist seperatly from the mount frame. And finally, I know I am going to hear that its a personal prefference, but will I notice a huge difference plowing with a full trip mouldboard as opposed to a trip edge? I am now running a fisher trip edge. I will thank all of you now, because I am sure you all will have some good point, Thanks

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I almost bought the pro plus, but after seeing the time savings of the blizzard 810 I went that route instead. The plus is a very good plow, and will be alot easier on the truck than a trip edge plow. IMO the only place a trip edge plow is needed in on a v plow. But if are serious about saving time and making more money per hour, skip the other plows and get wide.
    Dino

3. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

the only problem with a blizzard for me is that there are no dealers close enough if something goes wrong during a storm.

4. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Keep some spare parts with you. Not to many dealers are open at night so if you need parts you better have them with you anyways. The Blizzard looks like a great plow. I have a 7.5 Western Pro and its a nice plow work great. That Blizzard 810 just looks wicked.

5. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

Get wide,,, these guys convinced me!!!

blizzard 3500.jpg

6. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

It all depends on what you plow really, wide is good for lots, small is better for residential, somewhere in between is good too. Blizzard is wicked, small enough to backdrag driveways, bigger than competition for moving, a straight and V plow and western/wings plow all in one. Big thing is its HEAVY as hell. I am personally shopping for one this year, gonna replace the one on my new ford, but she can handle the weight just fine. I have a unimount on it now, its a good dependable plow, but taking it on and off is a chore, that is my BIGGEST concern, no fun driving around with a blade on for NO REASON.......In my opinion, all the major brands have good products, western is a classic, all Ive ever owned never a problem really, little stuff fixed with my parts kit.......

7. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

well i noticed all of the blizzard guys are HUGE fans of that product. But for me, they are heavy and nobody around me sells them. At least not within a reasonable distance. I think right now I am really leaning towards the pro plus.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are plowing commerical then buy a plow that you can put wings on. They are light and easy to put on and when you are windroeing thay are very quick. A little more work then the Blizzard but when you don't need them, take them off.

9. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Id get the Pro Plus because they are very heavy duty units!

10. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

pro plus is the only blade my company will buy .With the ultra mount system the blade is off your truck in seconds and putting it back on is just as quick and with no effort. they are built extremely tough also. We had the misfortune of having a car hit one from the backside and although it came completely off the truck only 2 parts on the mount had to be replaced.Had it been a unimount or mm II , the damage would probably have been more severe.The wings do work good and are very easy to install and remove.

11. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

i was just reading another post on here and someone is complaining that his doesn't trip, and when it does it won't go over the obstical. any thoughts? anyone else have these problems?

12. Eng63Trk16

Eng63Trk16 Junior Member

I have a brand new 8' pro and it works great. It trips when its supposed too. I have had western plows and loved them, plus with the utlra-mount your plow comes off in two seconds and the mount comes off just as fast, to give your truck a plowless look on the off season. No other company offers that. The only thing that i regret about getting this plow would be that i should have gotten a V!!! Other than that i am completely satisfied.