1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with older Western

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cocco78, Feb 14, 2004.

1. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

I finnaly got my plow scout running but the plow doesn't work now. The motor spins but nothing happens. One of the quick connect fittings broke off so I fixed that but I must have lost some fluid or got air in the lines.

So how do I add and/or bleed the plow? And Westerns use ATF correct?
  2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Click on the western link at the top of this page.
    Go to publications library and look up the manual for your plow.
    you can use ATF in them but it does not have the water absorbing ability or cold temp viscosity that you might need if temps drop below 0.
    Use a dextron rated fluid.
    Not (type F)
  3. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Westerns site did not have the owners manual for my plow online. They had one kinda similar, but much newer. My plow is probably a late 70's. The id tag does not have a model number but the serial number is 27368. I'll try and get a good picture up of it this weekend, maybe someone can id it for me...

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The pump probaly needs topped off.
    Is it cable operated controls? Use the good stuff in it. The western fluid, so it doesn't freeze up. It costs a bit, it will save you from loosing money if the plow freezes up. My western cable operated worked great for 4 seasons never a problem with it.
    It did feel like you were lifting the plow with your arm after 12 hours of plowing with the T-bar controller.
  5. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Well, I went and messed with it a little more. There are 2 plugs on the back of the housing. I guess these would be the fill plugs. Upon closer examination, they apear to once have been allen head plugs. But now are almost rounded holes :mad: So getting them out should be a challenge.
  6. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

yea if they are rounded its probably the right ones,as there is no need to take any of the other screws out except for major repair.
  7. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Not picking on you specificallly MickiRig, but what is it with everyone on this site writing "needs topped off", "needs repaired", "needs replaced" etc..?
    There's a "to be" missing there. Am I the only one who notices this?
    I see this so often on this site I couldn't go any further without making some sort of comment.

PS, good luck getting the plow working Cocco, I went through a similar crash course on Meyer E-47 repair and maintenance getting my plow working.
  8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

COCO,,,,,,,,,,If you have a older Ismark cable operated pump.
    The fill hole is on the top of unit on right next to the elec. motor.
    You should have a pipe plug in it.

Lower plow to ground...push ram all the way down....move plow
    by hand side to side with the fill plug out.
    This will force all air out of fill hole.
    Fill the pump as necessary and repeat. This should remove all
    air from your system.

Fill again if necessary.....replace plug. Test !

That should do the trick.............geo

BTW: I use Dexron 3 fluid in my rigs
  9. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Well, I did a full service on the old plow. Pulled off the motor, cleaned the pump and pickup screen, and drained and cleaned inside the housing. I got everything all nice looking and put back together and filled it up with some dexron III.

It goes up and down perfect, nice and fast going up and nice and controled going down. And it angles left perfect... But it doesn't go right! When I rotate the "T" handle right the plow seems to want to pick up. So I assume the controler box it probably worn or something it catching.

Anyway thanks for the help!

10. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Have you tried any cable adjustments??
    I believe the adjustment procedure is covered in Westerns troubleshooting guide too.
    Westerns have very close tolerances so the cables have to be right on for everything to work perfectly.

Good luck,
    Mark K
  11. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

MARK...........Are your up/down, L R, cables tight to the pump
    body and inside controller ?
    Sometimes the Hex screws strip out on the pump body
    (cheap white metal!) then the cables lose just enough
    to move and be outta adjustment. I replaced mine with
    bolts ! Check TIGHTEN very carefully or strip case !

I got 10 HARD winters outta my 90 Western 7-6 cable
    operated . It just needed a little TLC tho. once a year !

All my new Ultra gets is a fluid change and screen clean!
    NOT a problem in 3 winters!......................geo
  12. Runner

Runner Senior Member

There IS an area on Western's Publications that has the mechanic's manual for your plow. You have to click on "Conventional" plow,...then on cable operated, and it will take you there. I just downloaded and printed it last night. I am printing out the Uni0-mount manual right now, both for my binder, and one for a friend of mine. What you are describing is all covered in there. Good luck with it.
  13. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

The cables seem nice and tight at the pump end. I believe the problem lies with the funky old "T" handle controler. But I will check the cables per the instruction manual. There may be some play in the L/R cable because I really have to turn the T handle all the way for the blade to angle to the left. Looks like its going to be a warm one up here the rest of the week, near 30!!! so I'll be out tinkering again!

Why else would the plow want to go up with the controler is turned to the right? It seems like when turning the controler right it is also activating the lift cable.

Edit: Oh I found the .pdf manual for my plow on Westerns site! That helps alot!
  14. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I'm sure you have figured this out by now, but I just gotta say.

When you run the pump and don't move any of the cables the blade goes up. (this is normal)

So when your cable is out of adjustment, the controller still turns on the pump, and if the hydraulic valve is not moved into the correct position (by the cable). The blade goes up.:nod:
  15. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Cool, thanks for the info... I didn't know that! But I managed to get the angle cables adjusted so it all works.

Thanks guys