1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with old plow I.D.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by dave685, Jul 26, 2008.

1. dave685

dave685 Junior Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new here but from what I've seen it looks like theres a lot of knowledgable folks here who I'm hoping can help me out.
    I was given an OLD snow plow to use that I'm hoping to mount to my 99 Super duty. The problem is I don't know who made it and there are no markings or tags on it anywhere. It looks like it was 6 1/2 ft long Originally and someone welded additional 6inch peices to each end. Also, the two 1 inch pieces of square stock that are welded at the tail of the A-frame look aftermarket as well, and appear to have been used as the mounting points instead of the pins that come out the sides. The frame that came with it looked homemade from the quality. The lifting cylinder was operated from a power steering pump assembly.
    All I know is that it came off a Mid 70's Dodge Power Ram. The guy I got it from has no information as he bought the vehicle for parts. Unfortunatly the original owner has moved away to parts unknown. I tried a Meyers dealer and he said tht according to the factory it isn't one of theirs.
    If someone here can help with information on this plow I sure would appreciate it. Here's some pictures:
    Thanks in advance!
    Dave

Plow 1.JPG

Plow 2.JPG

Plow 3.JPG

2. gkm

gkm Senior Member

looks really old. not sure i would evean try to put on a truck of mine. looks like you will have to get out of the truck to angle right or left.
    all the ssame good luck!

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

B&B !! Where are you???:rolleyes:

I'm clueless also. I'd almost say it came off a small tractor but you already said it was on a dodge.

4. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

it was a long time ago but it kinda looks like a plow that wan on my uncles scout i believe it was a 1970 model meyers :confused:dont hold me too that tho:D

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's definitely modified to fit a meyer's mount. What wearedge fits will be a crap shoot since it's been lengthened.

Thanks for sharing but outside of being a curiosity it's a scrap yard piece. If you could find someone restoring "a whatever it fits" who would take the time to return it to original it could be worth saving. Otherwise the cost is to prohibitive, you could buy quality used for less money.

Check the trip mechanism, the upper pivot is open backed. supports the blade up high like fisher does, only with the open back allows it to be full trip, pretty cool.

It could be off a tractor. In the center under where they scabbed on the meyer stuff there are a couple holes that could be where the mount a center piston attached. commen tilt system on a bunch of older tractors. Before you get rid of it post some pics of the rest of the swing frame and plow attachment if you would. As I said before it's a curiosity:nod:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The truck side description definitely sounds like an old school Meyer/Dodge setup...but the blade definitely isn't. Can't say for sure of the actual manufacture of the blade, looks to be some type of old agricultural unit and unfortunately would be a total waste of time and effort to retrofit onto a late model pickup. You'd be much better off in the long run purchasing something a bit more modern and leave this one to the recyclers.

7. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

If U want a plow for a Super Duty this one definitely WILL NOT be worth your time. The width would be Ok as its extended width is now 7.5 ft (if your running a SRW) . But my problem w/ the unit is its only a 2 trip spring unit. Not strong enough for the width if the plow. I don't think U'll be happy having to get out to change the angle manually when trying to plow (I wouldn't).
    There are better used plows out there which can be used w/ less effort which will turn out better for U in the end. besides scrap metal is getting a good price these days!

8. adino1954

adino1954 Junior Member
    from ct

that plow was built by international harvester tractor corp.i have that same plow on my 444 utility tractor from back in the 70's (only mine is white)

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Cool info. Thanks

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like we have a winner! :drinkup:

11. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

International Harvester corp? Cool, we plowed harvester industrial center last year, where they use to make those tractors. Kinda cool

12. dave685

dave685 Junior Member

Thanks Everyone

Thanks Everyone for all your help and suggestions. Especially Adino1954 for being able to identify this thing for me. At least now I know what I've got even if it ends up not being something that I can use.

Sorry about this post being so delayed. My system crashed and I just got it up and running finally.

I'm curious adino1954, how does the plow mount up to your tractor?

Dave

13. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I wouldnt even waste my time on that one. Spend the money and get something newer, it will save you a lot of trouble