1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with new to me Fisher MM

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by CFM Services, Sep 30, 2014.

1. CFM Services

CFM Services Junior Member

New here. been plowing forever, but finally doing it for myself.

Just purchased a MM1 8' to fit my 99 SD. Truck came with a MM1 harness and push plates when I bought it years ago.

I just got this plow, it uses different plugs for the headlight/control and power.
    Different number of pins New plow is a 9 pin, truck has a different one (have to count) Is there any MM1 harness that is better than another, or just use what I got?

Instead of the big black plug for power, uses two individual cables (black and red)

All this is no biggie, as I got the harness for this plow when I bought it, so I just have to install that. I do want to convert the power feed back to the big black plug, where is the best place online for parts in everyones opinion.. I'm just going to need the plow side of the plug.

Now for my real reason for pics, I have some concerns about my plow. It seems as if it has a mm1 Headgear, a MM2 a frame and plow. The two do not seem to mate as well as I'd like. I am guessing by the two different S/N that this is two plows merged together.

All I have done thus far is jerry rig the wiring on my truck to get it back to my shop, and scrape and give it a quickie paint job for the season. It will get a pretty paint next year, this year it just has to work. Wiring in the new harness is no problem.

Plans for the plow are:
    -Add a cutting edge
    -fluid and filter change
    -fab up a snow foil from some rubber.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  2. CFM Services

More pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. CFM Services

more pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the factory wiring harness, any of the sponcers will have good prices. Your trk might have a 12 pin. You might have to change the plow over as it might be cheaper. Hopefully Kimber will chime in

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

confirm whats on your truck. there are 3 wiring setups that i am aware of (in order of earliest introduction to latest):

1) a 2 plug 9 pin (what your plow side is). although the plug with the 2 large pins that you show is not the factory fisher plug

2) a 2 plug 12 pin

3) a 3 plug setup that uses an isolation module mounted under the hood

the only setup i've ever used is the first one i list - 2 plug, 9 pin. it's the oldest, but i've never had any problems with it. i really don't know the benefit of the other 2 setups.

it looks like you have the insta-act pump. i didn't think these pumps came with the 2 plug 9 pin wiring? i thought the SEHP pump was the only one with that wiring setup? i might be wrong there?

as for your pictures of the plow - something looks off there. it appears some non-factory welding has been done. i don't like how short one of those pins is either.

6. CFM Services

Truck is def a 2 plug, I'm going to have to clean it well to be able to see how many pins are in there.

My guess on what someone has done is mount a mm2 a frame to a mm1 headgear. It looks to me like the a frame should go between those two plates, where as now it is on the outsides. Both sides are the same deal. A frame looks to be about 3 or so inches wider than the head gear.

7. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

I would have to look tomorrow but one of our plows is the same way, its factor made tho, the plow pins between the 2 ears, so possibly someone did work on yours. Insta act is 3 plug (headlights, power, and controls) the new insta acts is 2 plugs again for the flex fleet i think right?? I know the old 2 plugs were 9 pins and the 3 plugs were 11 pins, never knew there was a 12 pin

8. CFM Services

Yeah any pictures of where the headgear attaches to the a frame would be a great help.

9. linckeil

from CT

i guess the 9 pin would work with the insta-act as the insta-act has the same s1, s2, and s3 values as the older SEHP pumps.

the 12 pin setup only uses the 3 additional pins for daytime running lights on trucks that had that option.

and the 3 plug setup with isolation module really performs the same function as the older 2 plug setups, except uses the isolation module instead of individual headlight relays.

this plow is definelty a mismatch of MM1 and MM2 components. but i would think if done correctly, there would be no reason why it couldn't work for you.

10. CFM Services

Does anyone have a good shot of both a MM1 and MM2 where the head gear attaches to the a frame. I just want to see how they factory attach so I can make a good decision of what I'm gonna do.

Def gonna make what I have work, just have to figure out the best way to go about it.

11. linckeil

from CT

12. CFM Services

It just asks me to sign into craigslist. Any way you could right click and save the pics to desktop and up load them here/ email me them? I'd be a great help

13. linckeil

from CT

14. dodgegmc1213

cfm here you go, our 8' fisher the same way, but it looks like the ears on the a-frame is different then yours.

1001140938.jpg

1001140939.jpg

15. dodgegmc1213

our gmc has day time running light but has the 11 pin, all our trucks have 11 pin. now I believe the size of the plow depends on where the ears are mounted on the a-frame or is that just the old speed casters that did that??

16. CFM Services

See, that's how I was thinking it was supposed to mount. My a frame attaches where the cotter pin in is on your pin. My pin goes outside in, and cotter pin is inbetween the two tabs, where your a frame is.

Mine looks like it should work, but there is a ton of latteral play in it. I'm just trying to make sure it is how it supposed to be, not that it's a cobbled together thing, which I'm thinking it is.

17. linckeil

from CT

the 11 pin is just found on the 3 plug setup with isolation module. 1 plug is 11 pins, 1 plug is 3 pins, and the 3rd plug is the two heavy pins (positive and negative) that run to the plow motor.

18. dodgegmc1213

you can see that our a-frame ears are in further, as yours is on the outside. also theres a plate welded on the headgear (red square box).
    have a good welder make up new ears and weld them in further so it sits between the 2 plates and add the top plate also.
    heres some pics of the 3 plug harness on the plow and the truck it goes on.

urhjf.jpg

1001140953.jpg

1001140954.jpg

19. dodgegmc1213

oh you mean the 12 pin was on trucks with daytime running lights with the 2 plug system? gotcha

20. linckeil

from CT

correct. the 2 plug setup came in either 9 or 12 pin.

in the picture you posted of your 3 plowside plugs, if you look closely you can see the middle plug (while it shows 11 holes) actually accepts only 3 pins from the truckside harness. the 3 middle holes has metal contacts whereas the 8 other holes has no contacts.

here's a link to a 3 plug truckside harness with isolation module that i sold last year.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=151762