1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with new snow tires

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by robertpkerrsr@h, Dec 24, 2009.

1. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy new snow tires and wheels so I can change them out in the spring.

They will be for my 2001 Gmc 2500HD Duramax pickup. FYI I usually have about 1000 lbs of weight in the back when I plow.

My tire dealer gave me three suggestions;

Trail Cutter M+S 140.00ea
    Dunlop Rover T Max 178.00ea
    Bridgestone Blizzak 168.00 ea

Does anybody have any experience with any of these tires? I want the best plowing tire I can get for the money.

Thanks guys
  2. I dont know anything about those tires but last year in the middle of a storm I needed a set of tires in a pinch. I went to wal-mart and bought 4 Trailmark tires. These are the socalled "Wal-Mart Brand" but they are actually made by Goodyear. They are on my 97 Dodge Ram 1500 (jacked way the f@#k up) and I have yet to hit snow I couldn't get through.

I paid $666.00 Cnd for the set installed and balanced. (I will never forget the price, totally bad luck lol)
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You should be able to get MasterCraft MSRs for less than those. Best I have used so far. Many others have had great results with them. You do not want big knobby "mud" tires. Small blocks, small voids, lots of siping.
  4. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

Bought a couple of sets of Goodyear Duratracs and have been very happy with them. $724 out the door tax and install.
  5. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Chaparral AP are what i bought last year for 600.00 installed and i really have to say that out of 4 trucks i have had bought tires for, these really have been great.
  6. berkshire

berkshire Junior Member

Mastercraft MSR's are a great tire........You can also buy them studded..

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Cooper Discoverer M&S
    Strictly a snow tire and you would need a set of summer tires to put on after the season.

I have yet to put my truck in 4x4 this year using these, even in the 8 inch cement we got 3 weeks ago. Absolutely the best tire I have had on any truck.

A new sponsor here created a thread in the "New to the Industry" forum and I believe is offering $25 rebates if you mention Plowsite.

Had I gone through the Plowsite sponsor I would have saved over a $100 and got a $25 rebate. That would have been plenty in savings to have em mounted and still come out ahead. :nod:
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  8. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

i run firestone transforce a t's LT 265.75.r16 .on my 2500 hd .ihad the dunlop's on another truck and i no like them .they feel apart fast.good luck.
  9. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Revo II, Bridgestone seems to be a nice tire.

I have owned 3 sets and would buy them again...JMHO
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  10. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

Thanks for all the help. On Monday I will check with my tire shop and see if he can get any of these other brand tires. I have heard good reports on the Mastercraft and the Coopers. Thanks again
  11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

For SNOW and ICE traction Blizzak
  12. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

I am a fan of Firestone Winter Force tires. Cheap/reliable and can go through anything. Blizak's would be my second choice.
  13. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

i got winter force's on my f 150 .a nice tire under $4oo out the door.and they clean out fast
  14. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I had winterforce on the car and wore out way too fast, since then i bought general altimax artic's . wow what a great tire.
  15. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

Blizzaks are certainly top dog, but don't rule out BFG all-terrains!!!
  16. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I've had great results with mud tires in the snow. I used to use Buckshot Radial Mudders, now I use Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's.
  17. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I have had excellent results with mud tires as well. On my 2wd Ranger, I have a set of old style snow tires (mud type tread) and no ballast and I can drive through 2 foot high drifts with that thing. They clean out great, even better than the Blizzaks I previously had on the truck. Mud type tread does make a bit more noise when driving down the road, yet it is better than hearing the engine reving trying to get unstuck IMHO.

P.S. This might make a difference. Our roads in my area rarely get cleared enough to see any type of road surface until spring. So constantly driving on hard packed snow or unplowed snow here for the duration of the winter when close to home.
  18. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

Winterforce's are a good tire but do wear out fast. when winter is over off they come!
  19. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I like the Toyo Open Country.

I never ran those tires myself, i always run Toyo Open Country. there a little pricey but they are a really nasty tire. There a radial of course, mine are an e load, 10 ply tire m't. I swear by these tires. I run a 35" on a 20" rim, but they come in all shapes and sizes. they wear nice the only down to them is they recommend you rotate them every 5000 miles on the bigger ones, but they wear real slow. here's a look at the tread. these tires have about 3000 miles on them right now in the pics. there's still 100%

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009