1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with new power supply intall

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Woodland, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

In with the new, out with the old. I'm trading in my old truck for a newer '04 Chevy 2500HD. I plan on stripping the strobes, amber domes and wires from the old truck but leave behind the old FedSig power supply. The old power supply was installed when the truck was new (previous owner) and has all the markings worn off from age. It was a 6/8 channel unit which is more than I need. I plan to replace it with another FedSig unit. My new set up will only include 2 strobes mounted on the truck rack so I'm looking at a Silver Series 4 (416109). This will give me the option of adding two more strobes if necessary. I have a couple of questions regarding the installation of these units and their function.

First, the instructions include a section on a "cutoff feature". I saw this same feature in the instructions I downloaded for the current power supply a few years back, but have never learned what it was? Any help their?

Second, what size switch will I need for this? I am currently using a basic illuminated rocker switch from the auto parts store. You know, the $4.99 one. Problem is, if I leave the strobes on for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time, the switch gets real hot and will eventually melt itself on (I've had to pull the fuse twice since I've had the truck). I'm not sure if this is because the switch is wrong, the power supply is wired wrong (not my doing, but definitely my problem), or there is a problem with the power supply itself. Will those switches be adequate or should I look into a pre-manufactured multi-switch panel?
  2. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Well, first off u should pull the old PS out and sell it if u aren't going to use it. As far as the switches, if you like the switch you have, then just install a relay to activate the strobes. How many switches are you using? Are all the stroobes on one switch?
  3. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

The guy buying the truck from me will use the old power supply. He is going to supply his own lights and such. The power supply is bigger than I want, which is why I'm replacing it on the new truck. It has 6 channels and I have to use at least 4 or I risk blowing the strobes - too much powerpurplebou I only want the two strobes on the truck rack, but with that power supply I also had to have too hide-a-ways in the front turn signals just to balance it out. The new supply I mentioned above can run just two strobes - or 4 if I choose to add some later.
  4. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

You may want to warn the new owner that the pin outs for the older Federal Signal power supplies are different from the modern ones today.