1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with New MD Business

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by b2driver, Feb 1, 2005.

1. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

I originally bought my plow for personal use, such as my parents, wife's parents and our house, but decided maybe to go ahead and start a small company as well. I don't want to go big, just want to be legit and get some side money to help out when construction work slows down in the winter.

I called our accountant and she said that I don't need a license or a Federal ID number to have a small side business. This doesn't seem right to me. How can I have a company name in the phonebook if I don't have a licensed business? I want to make sure I cover my tracks and do things right, so what is the norm for Maryland?

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

You most likely can use your SS# as long as you don't have employees. Check with you local government about needing a license for a home based business. Some businesses in my area require one, others are not allowed. You may need to file your business name with the county and put it in the classifieds to start up. Those items and insurance was all I needed to start a lawn service legally in my area. Different laws in different areas, as I'm sure you already know, but your accountant could have it right.

3. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

That's what the accountant said was just to use my SS#. I'll talk to the insurance agent. I'm only going to do residentials. Don't think I should commit to commercials. Actually, I'd like to learn the ropes by being a sub. Just have to find someone to sub for. I'm using a small truck(Bronco II) so I don't know how marketable I'll be for a sub.

4. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Where are you located in MD?

I believe that the State and most Counties here in MD require that you have a business license. It is very inexpensive and easy to obtain. Most Counties also require a "Home Occupancy" permit to run a business out of your home. In MD, there is no special insurance reqired to plow snow. Required is the object word here, however. If you have no employees, you are correct in that you can use your social. You do still have to register with the MD Dept of Assement and Taxation and receive a "Certificate of Compliance" though.

As far as being useful as a sub with your smaller vehicle...if I had not just bought a plow for the front of my wifes Trailblazer, your truck would be perfect for getting into some of my lots with tight turns and such.

This season is about over, but if your anywhere close to Southern MD, let me know. I have already started signing contracts for next year and expect my contracts to double for the 2005-2006 season.

5. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

I have a Mechanicsville address, but I'm right at the border of Charles and St. Mary's Counties. I appreciate all your helpful information perhaps we can work out some kind of deal. I'm sure I'd get along better learning than trying to venture out on my own. If you'd like, I can PM you my contact information for the next season.

6. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

I would go ahead and get a federal id # why give someone you ss #. I feel that is personal information. I think you need to check into general lialty insurance and commerical auto policy to cover you and your truck and plow. What happens if you plow john doe driveway and he falls. I'm told if you are driving down the road with the plow and hit some thing that your personal auto insurance won't cover it.I have all my trucks and plows on a commmerical lialbity policy (2 mil) and I have general lialbity insurance policy (2 mil)

Frank
    How did that spreader work Lee. How did we do over the past storms

7. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Contact Info.

Yes, go ahead and im me your contact info.
    If you'd like you can come on down the next time it snows and ride along.
    Just keep in mind that this is my first year too. If it wasn't for the guys on line in this forum, I wouldn't have a clue what I'm doing. Luckily, and with thier help, everything has turned out great this year.
    Talk to you soon.

And Frank, I replied to your im last night. Thanks again!