1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help With My 1969 Ford

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jjokela2696, Mar 27, 2005.

1. jjokela2696

jjokela2696 Junior Member
    from oregon

Hello im new to the group. i have a 1969 ford 1/2 ton pickup. can i put a 3/4 ton rear end on it?? also if i cal what about the front end?? thanks for any help you all can give

2. CubMan

CubMan Junior Member
    from Wa

You can put a 3/4 ton axle under it easily enough. The question is, why? The Ford 9" is one heavy duty axle by itself. You can build them with full floating axle shafts. Some came stock with 31 spline axle shafts, others were 28 spline. If memory serves your 69 1/2 ton came with 28 spline axles.

They are "bullet proof" and are highly sought after by even die hard Chevy gurus. The only reason to ever change out a 9" is that in 1957 to 1960, Ford made some that were stamped with WAB or WAR stamped on the axle housings. They were brittle and had thinner axle housings. The WAR cases had a tendency to crack around the bearing support and the casting had a grain structure that wasn't very strong.

If you want the 3/4 ton axle there are 2 variations that I am aware of. The one has a semi-floating axle design, and the other is a full floater. The main things to be aware of is how the shocks mount from the axle to the frame. The drive shaft u-joints and where the springs mount to the axle. If it is a 4x4, you need to ensure that you match the ratios between the front and back otherwise you will not be able to use 4 wheel drive on a hard surface. The axles will lock up and you won't move.

IMHO, if the 9" that is in there has issues, rebuild it, upgrade to full float axle shafts and you will be very competitive to a dana 60.

3. jjokela2696

from oregon

re 1969 ford truck

why i want to put a 3/4 ton rear end in my 1/2 truck is i have a camper i want to put on it. is a camper to much for the 1/2 ton rear end???

4. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

a camper isn't going to be tto much for a half ton rear end, just add some add a leaves, or helpers to the back. YOu can build the 9" up to be a full floater bullet proof axle but it will cost more than a gm 14 bolt or d60, which are one ton apps. No reason to change yours.

5. jjokela2696

from oregon

re: help with my 69 ford

What about the wheel bearings - should I get stronger ones (if they are available?) and would air schocks help?

6. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

I haven't seen any type of stronger wheel bearings. I have never had issues with wheel bearings except on my rig but that is because i submerge it in water and muck :D IMHO air shocks only help with a few hundred pounds and they are more of a risk to blow out with your load and you are screwed if the load is too heavy and then the tires rub.

This is what i put on mine [​IMG] , i got them from local speed shop but you can order them out of JC whitney. they are progressive so your truck rides like a half ton unloaded until you put some weight then the leafs come into action. You can also crank the bolts down on them to have them helping all the time, which is what i usually do during winter then back them off for summer

"Ensure a factory-smooth ride when vehicle is unloaded, yet support up to 2,500-lb. loads (3,000lbs. where indicated). Includes two 2-1/2" wide springs, all brackets and hardware, instructions. Note: Springs are designed to increase level-load carrying capacity. Never load vehicle beyond manufacturer's maximum gross vehicle weight rating. Adjustment only at time of installation. Due to specially shipping requirement, cannot ship UPS Next or 2nd Day."