1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with mounting SnowBear to 02 Laredo.

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by n2lwc, Jan 22, 2010.

1. n2lwc

n2lwc Junior Member

Hi Guys,

I bought a SnowBear Plow last year for my Ford Explorer which died over the Summer. I then bought a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The problem I have is that SnowBear does not make a mount for the Laredo's I guess due to the "Trim" package or so they state. And, before anyone asks, yes, I did go on SnowBears web site to check if they had a mount for the 2002 Grand Cherokee before I bought the Jeep. The problem is that I didn't see that the Laredo was the only exemption. Also, the winch mount location I think sucks and wanted to come up with a higher location. It's the same on my friends 2006 Chevy TrailBlazer. The plow only comes up about 4" inches off the ground. I did search online and can't find any REAL help as far as mounting this goes. One thought I had was, I found a front mount "Hidden Hitch" (2" reciever) and I thought that I could have someone weld two steel "Pins" which is what SnowBear uses on it's crossmembers to attach the plow to the vehicle as seen below......

[​IMG]

I was then going to install a Spare Tire Carrier and attach the winch to the plate to give me the height I want on the winch also as seen below.

Seems like it would work but I wanted to bring it to you guys first to get your thoughts, opinions or ideas on this (good or bad). Or, if you know of something else then please pass it on. I can't really afford to spend a lot of money due to being on SSD (Social Security Disability) so, I really needs to think this out and investigate all possibilities before moving on. The only thing I really know is that there are a bunch of really nice/smart guys on here who have been really helpfull in the past wether it was what I wanted to hear or not..... So, I thank you in advance for ANY help.... One more thing...., I know that a number of guys have switched from the standard strap that SnowBear uses on it's winches which came from Super Winch to using a chain but, be real careful as if the chain if not installed right and with some sort of collar to the drum, it WILL SNAP that drum right in half.... I know as being the stupid Irish man that I am, I did it twice! Anyway, thanks again!

Jim

Upstate New York

[​IMG]

2. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

You could probably adapt the snowbear over to a 2 inch receiver mount. It might be easier than mounting the snowbear crossmember on the hitch. I considered trying this, so I could use a multi mount winch up front. As far as the spare mount, as long as it's beefy enough (I'd assume it is) it should work well. Is it possible you would just need a different model bumper?