1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Meyer Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by salvageall, Jan 29, 2004.

1. salvageall

salvageall Junior Member
    from CT

I tried to raise my plow (Meyer E-47) and it stalls the engine and leaves the battery drained. I'm told this means the battery is going directly to ground becuase the electric motor is not turning. I just want to be sure that replacing the motor is the correct remedy. Any help is really appreciated.

Direct e-mail is mreale6828@aol.com

Thank you

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Could also be solenoid shorting out to ground...Chuck
  3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Quick test.
    Remove the wire from the solenoid going to the motor at the motor and operate the switch, if you don't have a current drop your are on the right track.
    Carefully check the cable from the solenoid just incase it has rubbed through and is grounding out.
    When you remove the motor turn the shaft on the pump to be sure that it's not frozen.
    You can also smell the motor as most will give off a burnt insulation smell when shorted out and locked up.
    If so it sounds like your going to solve your troubles with a motor replacement.

:rolleyes: John..............
  4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

As stated check for bare wires. Then I would check to see if the alternator is putting anything out. And then the battery. This will cause the truck to stall if battery is depleted. Rev engine,then see if lights and heater blower go dim and slow down at idle. If so it's alt. or batt.