1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Meyer Salt Spreader Motor

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by davidkranz, Dec 8, 2009.

1. davidkranz

davidkranz Junior Member

We seem to buy a new salt spreader moter every year or 2. Is this normal or our we doing something wrong?

Do the cheap $100.00 motors you get on-line work as good as the meyer $300.00 part?

This is a 600 lbs 1999 Meyer tailgate spreader.
    My SnowEx is 5 years old and works like new.

2. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

If this is one of the Meyer spreaders with the exposed motors I had the same problem. I started siliconing all the joints and siliconing the top of the motor before putting the mounting bolts on. After that I wouls spray a few layers of spray on bed liner in a spray can all over the motor and connections, no problems since. When water or salt gets inside the anywhere and they sit they corrode and lock up, which happens easily because they are exposed. Also, it's not the price so much as whether it's american or chinese. I've had better luck with the american bosch and they are already sealed better than the chinese counterparts. Hope that helps.

3. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

One more thing, with them sealed up really good I have had the chinese ones last a long time and I found someone on ebay last year selling American Bosch motors for $80. This thread should probably moved to the ice control category.

4. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

I got the same thing goin on with mine. i ordered a motor off e bay the other day. I got the meyer
    tailgater ive had them sense 2003, one thing i herd that works is taking the motor apart every year
    after use and clean it up good and reseal it. worth a shot, thats what im doin this year.