1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Meyer Pump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Yelbic, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Yelbic

Yelbic Junior Member

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler with a 6.5 ft Meyer plow. I only use it for my personal driveway -- but I have a problem. I just attached the pump unit this evening to deal with the predicted 18+ inches tomorrow. The pump will not raise at all. The motor is getting very warm.The lights dim but no movement.

I discovered that the hydraulic fluid is very low and I am out of reserve fluid. Is this typical symptoms for low fluid or do I have a bigger problem? I cannot get fluid till 2morrow morning. Must I use the Meyer brand of hydraulic fluid?

Any help would be appreciated....
  2. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I'd just put some regular hydraulic fluid in, it won't hurt it.
  3. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

i have a meyer e47 and posted yesterday with similar woes.
    mine would not work in the morning, worked mid-day when it was warmer and my wife tried it, and then did not work when i got home and it was much colder.

i brought the light frame and pump (i have the classic setup) in the basement this morning to warm all day. i'm gonna change the fluid tonight. wish me luck. i'm thinking it was either low and the cold made the problem worse or there was moisture in there and it froze up a bit.

i would use meyer fluid if you can get it in time. i've read several places you should stick with meyer on this but i'm not expert. the bottle says its good to -40 and it has an additive that counteracts any water that may get in.

man i hope this works in time for tomorrow or i will be :cry:
  4. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Help with Myer Pump

The way I see it, a hydrolic pump is a hydrolic pump, as long as you use hydrolic fluid of the same viscosity that Myers recomends it should work just as well.

Fluid shouldn't be your primary concern though, unless someone drained the fluid for some reason and didn't put any back in, I'd say you've got a leak somewhere.

Either a bad seal, or a leaky hose/fitting.
  5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

plow ploblems

We use tranny fuild in our myers, we run 4 trucks and thas all we use. Hydrolic fuild can frezze up, I haven't had tranny fuild frezze up yet.
  6. 160ClassBuck

160ClassBuck Member
    from WI

do a Google search for MEYER PRODUCTS and that will get you to the Meyer Snow Plow home page. Look under Service/Support, then Service Manuals, click on the 1st manual in the upper left corner. This is a PDF file of the manual for your pump. Print it off and it is a wealth of information on the pump. Pump schematics, trouble shooting, the whole bit.

Hope this helps.

7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Plow fluid has deicers in it to keep the fluid from frezzing. Plus I find the blue color is easyer form me to see if its leaking....Rob
  8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Is the motor actually running or is it just getting warm? If it's not running give it a whack with a hammer (not real hard) and yes if it's low on fluid it's normal for it not to raise or do much of anything.
  9. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

TRanny fluid or any Hydraulic fluid will work. You can even use vegetable oil if you get in a pinch. NO kidding....YES vegetable oil....we used it in our fire dept hydraulic tools.
  10. Yelbic

Yelbic Junior Member

Follow Up to E-47 Problem

Motor does not seem to be running... It is getting warm and lights dim in Wrangler leading me to believe that electrical is functioning....

Any thoughts? 3 hours to blizzard....
  11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Could be pump locked up or motor bad. Unbolt motor and see if it will run when disconnected. Also see if pump will turn, should be able to turn with pliers of screwdriver...
  12. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Help with Myer Pump

It may seem like an odd question, but will the pump go up any? You may need to put some slack in the chain.

Does the Left/Right work?

Do you hear any clicking when you try to operate it?

Is everything hooked up right? Their may be a ground wire off somewhere, or badly coroeded connections.

Check the solenoids on the pump, and on the vehicle if it has one.

If you go to the Myer's website via the link at the top of the page, they have a downloadable users manual that includes a diagram of how everything is supposed to be hooked up.

Trace all the wiring to make sure it's good, and hooked up the right way.

If all else fails, try tapping the motor with a small hammer, if that doesn't work have someone operate the down control while you apply pressure to piston, and see if you can get it to go down at all.

It may be vapor locked, you might have to loosen the bleeder plug, be careful, it'll squirt a lot of fluid out when you do.

You should be able to do all of that in an hour and a half.

If all that fails, and you can get the pump to go down you can plow with it down, you just won't be able to raise and lower it, I've seen guys do that in a pinch.

Not in a blizzard, just in a pinch, it should work about as well though, it'll just make it more memorable.

I'm thinking if you go over everything carefully you'll find the problem though.

Give us a shout back and let us know what you find.

Best of luck.